Happy Friday, friends! It's time for a pregnancy update! I shared my pregnancy eats for week 33 and may have grovelled a bit about wanting the baby out already.
Apparently, I need to be careful what I wish for.
Since my last full pregnancy update (31 weeks), I went in for my 32 week prenatal visit, last Thursday. In that visit, the doctor raised some concerns. Apparently, I have an excess of amniotic fluid, also known as polyhydramnios, which is very rare and only occurs in 1% of all pregnancies. He walked me through what additional steps needed to be taken going forward:
- Although I've already done a gestational diabetes test, I'd have to do another, just to make sure we didn't get a false negative nine weeks ago.
- Weekly monitoring of the fluid levels for the AFI, or amniotic fluid index, to see if the number is going up or down
- Weekly non-stress tests (NST) / ultrasounds
- Another check of the organs at 36 weeks
So today, I went in for my weekly monitoring of the amniotic fluid (AFI) and the non-stress test (NST). The AFI showed a continued increase in amniotic fluid (not good) and my NST showed two contractions, ten minutes apart. These findings then led my practitioner to check my cervix. It turns out my cervix is fairly thin (1cm) whereas a normal cervix is 2-3 cm. So effacement has begun. These are not good numbers unless you want to go into labor.
I don't. I'm only at the end of 33 weeks.
There was some consultation between my practitioner and the fetal maternal specialist, and together, they agreed there is a possibility that I could go into labor at any time. Developmentally, the baby's organs are almost fully developed, with the exception of the lungs. Given this, they decided it would be prudent to give me a shot of cortisone that will speed up the completion of lung development. I got one dose today (Thursday) and will need to go back tomorrow for another dose.
Initially, after this visit, I was definitely freaked out. I don't want to go into labor yet! I don't want to deliver a premature baby! Fortunately, my husband was present for today's prenatal visit, so we talked at length after the visit, and agreed that all that could be done has been done, and worrying isn't going to help -- if anything it might encourage the baby to come out.
So I'm scheduling this post for Friday morning, just in case I'm not at home to hit publish. I don't want to jinx myself, but I don't have posts all lined up if I do disappear for awhile, so if I don't post this weekend (meal planning!) or Monday, maybe you'll have an inkling of where I am.
But seriously, I want this baby to stay put for at least another month! Stay, baby, stay!
|Left: 28 weeks, when I was still comfortable. Right: 32 weeks, complaining that I'm feeling too big.|
Have you ever been surprised by an event that occurred when you least expected it?