Monday, November 24, 2014

Pregnancy Update: 35 Weeks


Happy Monday!  At my last pregnancy update (33 weeks), I didn't do a photo compare.  So here I am, looking a little exhausted.  I'd like to blame it on bad lighting in my 35 week photo, but solid sleep is getting harder to come by.  I'm waking up at least twice a night to go to the bathroom, and sometimes I have trouble falling back asleep.
How about a little blast to the past?  I dug up a few old photos from pregnancy #1 and thought it would be fun to do a compare.  32 weeks in 2011, and 32 weeks in 2014.

At the end of our 33rd week of pregnancy, I learned that I have a condition known as polyhydramnios, which apparently occurs in 1% of all pregnancies.  Now that it's been two weeks since I received this news, I've been back to the doctor for five sessions of fetal monitoring, and I'm beginning to relax again and am holding out hope we will make it to week 39, which is when I have my c-section scheduled (Friday 12/19!!)

Twice-a-Week Appointments

Because of the polyhydramnios (which puts me at risk for early labor), I now go to the doctor twice a week for monitoring.  I've gone five times now, and I'm getting the hang of this routine.  Every visit starts with a urine sample:

Then a nurse weighs me, takes my temperature, my blood pressure, and my pulse.  After all that, I get to sit in this lovely chair:

And get hooked up like this:

And this monitor records baby's heart rate and any contractions I might be having:

I push this lovely button every time I feel the baby move.  The idea is that whenever the baby's heart rate changes, it should correspond to movements.  

At my last visit, the baby fell asleep during my 20-minute monitoring, and they applied a little buzzer to my belly to wake the baby up.  Who knew these things existed?

Baby Updates

General stats: thanks to the twice-a-week monitoring, I have confirmation that my little girl is quite the little mover.  Most of my visits have been between 10am-12noon, and she is very active at that time, which is surprising, because it's before I go have lunch.  But it is a very active time for her.

Baby size/weight: baby is about the size of a honeydew melon and weighs somewhere around 5-6 pounds.  At my most recent doctor's visit, I learned that her head is resting on the left side of my tummy and her feet are over to my right.  She's not quite breach, and she's not head down, probably because of the excessive amniotic fluid.

Mama Updates

In good company: I have two friends who are also pregnant.  One of them just delivered last Tuesday (Nov 18) and the other one is due this week (just before Thanksgiving).  I've been keeping in touch with them via email (one is in Texas, the other in New York) and it's been great sharing stories/laments/tips with them!

Rings on or off: on

Food aversions/cravings: nothing in particular.  I feel like my food preferences have settled back to what they were pre-pregnancy.  I'm eating more and more Paleo these days.  The other day I had some bread and felt awful afterwards, so I'm very conscientious about the processed carbs I choose to eat.

Rest/sleep: I'm still napping every afternoon, but these days, if I do take an afternoon nap, it's to make up any sleep I don't get during the night.  I try to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, but I'm finding that I'm waking up more often and sometimes I have trouble going back to sleep.

What I miss: being able to bend over and pick things up without effort.  I'm also finding it very challenging to get shoes off and on these days.  I try to choose shoes without laces, but those are often also my more comfortable shoes.  I get excited when it's cold outside because then I can wear boots which are much easier to get on and off...

What I'm looking forward to: I'm starting to think about eating sushi again.  I'm also fantasizing about riding my road bike and running.  I miss both activities a TON.


Baby Accessories & Other Prep

Recent Baby Items Purchased: after sifting through all the baby stuff that we held onto from baby #1 (we didn't keep everything!), I've made some recent purchases including: a new diaper bag and a few new nursing bras.  My husband even surprised me last week and came home with a breastfeeding scarf (!) which I think is very cool and fashionable.  I hope it comes in handy and is functional.




Nursery Sneak Peek.  Another area where my husband has been amazing is he kicked into high gear when we learned that we might go into labor at any time and is very close to finishing the nursery.  Our biggest win in the nursery is the recliner in the righthand corner.  We have a rocker, which wasn't the most comfortable chair to sleep in, so we invested in a nice leather recliner which will get moved to our living room after it serves its purpose in the nursery.  All we are missing now are some curtains, blackout shades, and some artwork for the walls.  What do you think?

We're excited that we've made it to 35 weeks.  Fingers crossed that we make it to 37 weeks (and can therefore avoid the NICU).

It's Thanksgiving week!  Are you (part of) the cooking team or are you headed over to someone's house for a home-cooked meal? 

14 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the color of the nursery!! Beautiful! Fingers Crossed for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! We're pretty happy with the purple, too. It took a little time to decide that was the color theme we wanted to go with...

      Delete
  2. You are gorgeous!! Love the nursery, too! I am obsessed with my Bravado nursing bras, so comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh! Another person who loves Bravado! I didn't use Bravado with my first, so I'm hoping I love these bras!

      Delete
  3. The nursery looks great! It is going to be so cute!! We are heading to my in-laws for Thanksgiving. I'm in charge of appetizers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Thanksgiving plans sound like fun. I wonder what appetizers you'll be making/bringing?

      Delete
  4. The nursery looks great and how sweet hubby came home with a surprise ;) I love your pregnancy pics, it looks like your baby bump was bigger with your pregnancy :) Do you feel a difference? It's good baby girl has decided to wait it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I'm glad you're enjoying my pregnancy photos; I'm enjoying posting them! Yes, I think my bump was bigger with my first pregnancy, too... I feel smaller this time around. And I'm glad baby girl is waiting it out! Every day is a gift...

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, could you be any cuter!? The bravado bras are the absolute best. It's all I used with my first. I love the nursery too!! And you're making me feel the need to kick the nursery finishing into high-gear! At least we've painted...but that's it. I guess we ought to order the crib, huh?? :) I'm so glad you found my blog so I could find yours - I'm so excited to keep up with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, looking forward to following your pregnancy through to delivery and beyond!

      Delete
  6. Great to hear things are going well, Marnie! It definitely looks like you've dropped a little since 31 weeks. You and your husband must be getting so excited for the big arrival. He's done a fabulous job on the nursery. I love the sweet and settle lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! Yes, I think I've dropped. Baby is head down or close to head down whenever I go in for my ultraounds. We are very excited about the big arrival and I'm just about ready for baby to be born!

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that baby is staying put and the pregnancy is going well!!!!! The nursery looks awesome! I can't wait to see the final result ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yuliya! We are so happy with the color of the nursery. It took a long time to settle on that color.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...