Thursday, November 13, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie

I'm so glad so many of you enjoyed my tongue-in-cheek post, How to Prepare for a Polar Vortex!  Having moved from California to Colorado in 2013, I still find having a real winter to be a novel experience.  And this winter is starting with a bang -- we didn't get above single digits yesterday -- and it is cold, cold, cold.

When it gets cold there are a couple of things that come to mind.  One of them is baking.

The other is my crockpot.

So far this fall, in the crock pot, I've made two kinds of chili, chicken tikka masala, and a pot roast.  On Monday, I made Chicken Pot Pie in my slow cooker.  And it was really good!  If you're eating Paleo, this is a great option, because you can leave the biscuit out... I'm thinking that substituting the regular flour for almond flour might just do the trick (although I did not try that).

And well, if you're a pot pie fan and can't stand the thought of dealing with a pie crust (homemade or store-bought), here is an alternative!

Now I know alot of slow cooker recipes just have you throw everything in the slow cooker, but you'll want to take the time to cook the chicken and vegetables, just to help develop the flavors.  It really is worth it.

Prep the chicken.  Coating the chicken with the flour mixture and frying the pieces helps the stew thicken as it cooks.  This recipe calls for chicken thighs which (1) are less expensive; (2) more flavorful!



Season and cook the vegetables.  It's all about building the flavors.  By cooking the leeks, carrots, and celery first and then cooking the mushrooms separately with butter ensures that the flavors in these vegetables develop individually.


But that's all the work: dredge & brown the chicken, cook the leeks/carrots/celery, cook the mushrooms with a little butter and salt, throw it all in the slow cooker with some chicken broth and fresh thyme.  Let it simmer all day while you do more important relaxing things and a quick finish just before dinner and it is time to eat!

Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie

Printable Recipe
Servings: 4-6
Prep time:  30 minutes
Slow cooker time: 6-7 hours (low) or 3-3.5 hours (high), plus 30 minutes at end

Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp fresh thyme (or 1.5 tsp dried thyme)
1-3/4 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2" pieces
1.5 cups leeks, chopped OR 1 large yellow onion, diced
1.5 cups carrots, sliced (about 3-4 carrots)
1.5 cups celery, sliced (about 3 stalks)
2 Tbsp butter
8 oz mushrooms, sliced (white or baby bellas)
2 cups chicken broth
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
1 cup half-and-half
Your choice of refrigerated biscuits (I used Pillsbury Grands!)

Prepping the Crockpot
1.  In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup flour, thyme, poultry seasoning, salt, and ground black pepper.  Toss the chicken thigh pieces to coat in the flour mixture.

2.  Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large nonstick skillet at medium-high heat.  Once the oil begins to shimmer, add half the chicken pieces, cooking until browned, then remove from the pan, transferring to crock pot.  After the first batch is cooked, heat the second tablespoon olive oil and cook second batch of chicken.  Once second batch is browned, add to the rest of the chicken in the crockpot.

3. Heat third tablespoon of olive oil in the nonstick skillet.  Add the leeks/onions, carrots, and celery.  Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.  Let brown, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes.  Add vegetables to the slow cooker.

4. Lastly, melt butter in nonstick skillet.  Add mushrooms, and cook until mushrooms are nicely browned.  Add mushrooms to slow cooker.

5. Add 2 cups chicken broth and sprig of fresh thyme to chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker.  Cover and set slow cooker on low (6-7 hours) or on high (3-3.5 hours).

Finishing the Meal
1.  If the slow cooker was set at low, change setting to high.  Add frozen peas to the slow cooker.

2. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup flour with 1 cup half and half.  Once blended, add the mixture the slow cooker, and stir to combine all.  Cover and cook for another 30 minutes or until mixture thickens.

3.  While slow cooker is cooking, bake your refrigerated biscuits.

4.  To serve, spoon chicken pot pie stew into a bowl and top with just baked biscuits.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to try this recipe! I am not a huge chicken pot pie fan, but my husband is. Plus I can add in some of my own spices to make it fit our tastes more. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leslie - that would be a great idea, I think it could definitely use additional spices. I hope your hubby likes it!

      Delete
  2. You make this sound really easy! I may have to do this over Christmas break when I am off work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the slow cooker is the best! The tough part is finding recipes so that not everything that comes out of it tastes the same!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm! My husband would love to be in your home right now. He's been craving chicken pot pie for the past week & half. Ha! I should be a sweet wife & add it to our meal plan for the week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) My husband enjoyed it so much, I am looking for recipes for individual pot pies. Nothing too adventurous -- I'll still use premade pie crust or some other substitute.

      Delete
  5. Not above single digits??!! Madness!!!
    I don't eat chicken but I'm definitely craving a veggie pot pie after reading this ... very few things are as comforting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't eat chicken? I didn't know that. Yes, easy enough to convert into a veggie pot pie! I don't like peas (so I left those out) but extra carrots and peas, then add potatoes and other favorite veggies and I bet it would be a delish pot pie (and you wouldn't need to slow cook for hours!)

      Delete
  6. This just sounds amazing! I'll be making it soon for sure :) Yummmm!

    I'll be pinning and sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Glad to hear it turned out good. I'm going to pin it for later. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to put your spin on it -- I think it could have used some additional spices...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...