I'd much rather celebrate all the wonderful things that have happened than spend too much time looking over my shoulder thinking about what could've been. I do like to set goals -- I am a list maker after all -- but the usual set of resolutions: lose weight, eat better, pick up a new hobby, etc. just don't apply because in the last year or so, I have adopted a healthy way of eating (that is enjoyable for me) and I am naturally an active person.
So let's just appreciate all the good things that happened in 2014, shall we?
1. I revived my blog, SuperSmartMama. If you look back through my archives, you'll see that I actually started this blog in the spring of 2013. Unfortunately, life got in the way, and I stopped blogging before the summer even ended. I'm glad I gave the whole blogging experiment another try because I've learned so many new things, made some great friends, and found an outlet for myself that constantly challenges me to be the best person I can possibly be.
2. I discovered the world of Paleo. "Going" Paleo was definitely an outcome of rejoining the blogging world -- I might not ever have heard of the Paleo way of eating had it not been for some of the blogs I follow. I started out fairly strictly Paleo, but learned that I could make some adaptations and settled on eating Paleo 80% of the time. During my pregnancy, I definitely took a break from eating Paleo, but I'm sure I'll gradually return to eating mostly Paleo as I figure out what works best while nursing my daughter.
3. I ran a race! After having my first child in 2011, I tried to get back into running in 2012 and 2013 with no luck. I started 2014 with walking (just to try and get back to being active) and without any intention of returning to running, I did so anyway, and ran a race in May! I had to put off running for the second half of 2014 (thanks to getting pregnant with baby #2) but I have serious plans to return to running in the late spring of 2015.
4. We traveled alot. I love seeing the world. Just check out the list of places I've been to in the last five years... In 2014, I am happy to report that I visited the following places:
- San Francisco (CA) in January/February and April/May;
- Orlando (FL);
- Portland (OR);
- Chapel Hill (NC);
- Outer Banks (NC);
- Washington DC.
5. I got pregnant! After we had our first child, we were sure that we only wanted to have one (raising kids is alot of work!) but when our son turned two, we started to reconsider. We spent the second half of 2013 trying to get pregnant, but ended up miscarrying. When we finally made it past the first trimester in 2014, we were excited to share our news with our family. Baby O is the best thing that happened this year...
Here's to wishing you the best in 2015! What's your favorite memory or accomplishment of 2014?