Monday, December 8, 2014

Arrival of Baby #2 - a Hospital Story

Happy Monday!  If you read my last post, you know that we got quite the surprise last week!

Baby #2 was scheduled to arrive via C-section on December 19.  In early November, I learned that I had polydramnios and that this condition could result in our baby girl arriving earlier than the 19th.

Well, it happened.

Last Monday morning, I woke up and felt uncomfortable -- much more than normal.  Not just the usual "Oh gosh I feel so big I can barely move around" to "Whoa, was that a contraction?  That was really uncomfortable."

So late Monday, as the contractions continued, I started tracking my contractions on my phone.  After lunchtime, I asterisked (*) the ones that were really uncomfortable - the ones that stopped in my tracks if I was walking around the house or required that I concentrate on breathing to help alleviate the pain.
I even tried taking a nap at 1pm or so and when I kept getting awoken by a more-than-slightly-uncomfortable contraction, I knew that it was time to call the Labor & Delivery department.  So I did.  They told me to bring my hospital bag and get over to the L&D floor to have my contractions monitored.

It was time to put our "emergency" delivery plan into action: that is, what we needed to do since we have no family in town, and all family had plane tickets for the assumed delivery date of December 19.  I called our neighbor, Rose, and told her we were headed to the hospital.  She was at the airport dropping off a family member and said she would meet us at the hospital.  My husband picked up our son from Montessori school, and then came to get me, hospital bag, and all.

The next few hours unfolded as such:
4:15pm - arrived at the hospital
4:45pm - nurse has asked all important questions and checks my cervix.  I am 5cm dilated! (this is a sure sign that the baby is coming)
5:00pm - I meet the anesthesiology team who starts by giving me Lidocaine before inserting my IV.  They also talk me through what anesthesia I will receive for my C-section
5:15pm - I meet the doctor who will lead the team and perform my C-section.  We walk through the procedure and timing with myself and my husband.  Somewhere after that, my husband takes my son downstairs to our neighbor who has arrived to take him home and watch him for the night.
6pm - surgery begins
6:35pm - our daughter is born!
7pm - I am in the post-operation recovery room for the next hour with my husband and our beautiful daughter

The rest of the night is a bit of a blur.  We are checked into our post-operation room where we meet our night nurse.  She sets me up for the night, explains that she will be checking in regularly to take my vitals and my daughter's vitals.  I began breastfeeding that night and we somehow make it through the night with some sleep here and there.  There were several nurse visits and even a few diaper changes...

My husband got up at 6:15am on Tuesday morning and left to go get our son (and relieve our neighbor!) and he returned about three hours later (my son ended up sleeping in until 8!), which was fine, because baby #2 and I slept pretty much until they returned around 9am.  Then it was our first time as a family of four...

This hospital story continued here.

Have you ever been hospitalized or had to visit someone in the hospital?  Do hospitals scare you?

10 comments:

  1. "Baby #2" is absolutely perfect!! Your family of 4 is adorable! I hope you are recovering quickly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie, I am trying hard to play the good patient. It's hard for me not to be active, but thanks to my husband and mother in law, I'm not doing much in the way of cooking or housework, which has been great.

      Delete
  2. I commented on your instragram photo but I have to say it again, congratulations! What a beautiful little family!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I haven't checked Instagram in awhile... it's time to get to posting photos again!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness congratulations!!! What a surprise that she came early <3 She's beautiful and there is nothing I love mre than a bundled up newborn. Absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brittany. I agree, newborns are pretty hard to resist...

      Delete
  4. Oh how precious :) Love the picture of your hubby with the kids. Looks like you made just in time from arrival to delivery in two hours! I don't mind hospitals, I've had a few surgeries and I am been very fortunate to have wonderful experiences with my care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I had my first child, I was petrified. I'd never been hospitalized before I had my two kids. But after the second hospital stay, I have to say I'm not that afraid of hospitals anymore. Caregivers do everything they can to make the patients as comfortable as possible.

      Delete
  5. Marnie, congratulations again. She is adorable and I'm glad that she is healthy even though she arrived early! I can't get enough of the little newborn pictures so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie! Another newborn lover...they are only newborns for soooo long.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...