Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas Just Arrived Three Weeks Early...


I've been hoping and praying that baby #2 would not come early.  A few weeks back, I shared a post regarding all the steps my care providers have taken to ensure that if I delivered pre-term, the baby would be as ready as possible.

Part of the preparation included making twice-a-week trips to the doctor to track the baby and my condition, polyhydramnios.  After multiple trips each week to the doctor through the entirety of November, my husband and I started to relax.  We were certain we were going to make it to December 19!!!

Original Due Date: Christmas Day
Scheduled date for C-Section: Friday, December 19

And just like that, we wrapped up our Thanksgiving weekend, and settled in to prepare for final preparations before December 19th.  There wasn't much left, really.

And just when we were breathing a sigh of relief, that's when the contractions started: Sunday night, during one of my regular pee breaks, I had a fairly strong contraction.  And they continued into Monday morning: they started coming more frequently and after lunch, they started getting much stronger.  By 2pm, I had hit several of the criteria for pre-term labor, so I called my doctor, and next thing I knew, we were checking into Labor & Delivery.  I was 5cm dilated.  It was time for baby #2 to come.

Baby "O"
Length of Pregnancy: 36 weeks, 3 days
Actual Delivery Date: Monday, December 1, 6:35pm
Baby stats: weight - 5 lbs, 8 oz.  length: 18 inches

We were in the hospital Monday through Wednesday.  Because baby O was just short of 37 weeks, we were considered "late" pre-term, and several precautions had to be taken.  We were ecstatic that they let us go home after 48 hours.  It was so nice to be back in our own home by Wednesday night.

I'll keep this brief, but highlights include:
- Baby O is eating and sleeping well
- Breastfeeding is going well (especially from mom's point of view)
- My husband and I have established a good schedule for the middle of the night feedings and changings
- Grandma was able to change her flight plans and has arrived from North Carolina to provide help and support (we are so glad she is here!!!)

As soon as the schedule allows, I'll provide more updates on how we're doing, but for now, thank you to all of your for your congratulations and love.  It's been great hearing from all of you!

Are you ready for Christmas?  Do you have any lovely holiday plans for this first weekend in December?

9 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, she is adorable! Congratulations again and so good to hear that everything went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! It's been great having your support!

      Delete
  2. Aaaah congratulations!!!! She is so lovely! I'm so happy the whole family is doing well and that you're back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful!!! I love your happy delivery picture, you can see how joyful you both are :) Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! I actually found my second time around in the surgery room less anxiety-ridden, as I knew what to expect the second time around.

      Delete
  4. She is so, so beautiful!! Congratulations to you and the family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brynn! By the way, I'm enjoying reading your postpartum plan to bounce back!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...