Saturday, December 13, 2014

Meal Planning: Sides


Life is really good right now!  Baby O will be two weeks old on Monday.  My husband has been home thanks to paternity leave.  We're less than two weeks away from Christmas.  And I've got a personal chef (of sorts) cooking meals for our family for the entire month of December.

Actually, the personal chef is my mother-in-law who modified her plane tickets when Baby O arrived on December 1 instead of December 19.  So instead of having her with us for two and a half weeks, we have her with us for the entire month!  We've eaten out a few times, but for the most part, we've been eating home cooked meals for dinner and sometimes lunch.  I can't complain.

Now that I'm starting to feel like myself again, I'm trying to pitch in when I can in the kitchen.  So for this week's meal plan, I'm going to feature recipes for sides that I might try to cook if they compliment whatever my mother-in-law is cooking.



This Week's Recipes: Sides

Salads

Soups

Cooking Method: Roasting

Cooking Method: Baking (Casseroles)

Cooking Method: Sauteeing
Butternut Squash with Browned Butter and Thyme
Sauteed Spinach with Shallots and Mustard

Is your life very busy right now?  When your schedule gets busy, what do you do about meals?

11 comments:

  1. That's so great that your MIL is staying with you guys for the whole month. Your whole family must be thrilled. It's always nice to have an extra two hands around. I'm already looking forward to my own moms 3 week stay once our little girls make their arrival. Parents really are the best & always so helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad my MIL is here and, yes, she is making life so much easier. She's everything a daughter in law could wish for: she's patient and kind and very understanding...she doesn't want to step on anyone's toes but wants to be as helpful as possible.

      Delete
  2. Butternut squash with browned butter and thyme?? Yes please!!! Glad you are feeling good and continuing to recover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think this recipe is the one I am most excited about... it looks fairly easy... although I am a little nervous about getting the browned butter right. If I do end up making it, I will post about how easy/hard it was to make.

      Delete
  3. Apple, pecan Feta salad sounds so good right now :) My hubby are actually trying to figure out a weekly schedule of sorts and plan our nights out and in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have leftover pecans from Thanksgiving. I figure this might be a way to use them up.

      Delete
  4. Look at you blogging a meal plan- awesome! Glad you're starting to feel more like yourself. The butternut squash gratin sounds so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I have my MIL and husband to thank for my quick bounce back. I couldn't be back to my old self this quickly without them!!

      Delete
  5. So glad to hear things are going well!! Your little lady is just adorable! And your mother in law sounds wonderful :)

    When things get busy I start to lose control in the kitchen. We tend to eat out more than we should or I throw together less than healthy meals. Just keepin it real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I hear you on what happens when things get busy... sometimes I'm amazed when dinnertime sneaks up on me and I haven't given it a thought on what to make for dinner. And then there are days where my husband and are I just too tired to even think of what we might consider making, and that's when we eat out.

      Delete
  6. It's awesome you have your own personal chef ;) I bet it's amazing to be able to bond with your baby girl while your MIL is helping you out! Your plans sound really tasty, too! I'm partial to roasting anything and am particularly obsessed with brussel sprouts. Yum, yum :)

    (also, thanks for sharing about why you needed to triple feed baby O. I've been learning so much from you! I also hope her hearing screenings go well!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...