Wednesday, December 17, 2014

WIAW #28: Postpartum Eats


Happy What I Ate Wednesday!  It's been awhile since I linked up with Jenn from Peas and Crayons for my favorite link-up. Last Friday, I mentioned that my mother-in-law is in town for the entire month of December to help out with the new baby.  The first week or two, she did most of the cooking, but now that I'm feeling more like myself, I'm helping out with a little cooking here and there, mostly by preparing sides or salads.  If you're looking for ideas for sides, check out this week's meal plan.

I'm hungry all the time thanks to providing milk to Baby O, so I'm just going to show you a smattering of what I've eaten over the last two weeks or so.  I won't lie, I've been eating quite a bit.  Beyond breakfast, lunch, and dinner, there have been afternoon snacks and middle-of-the-night snacks...  I'll stick to sharing the main meals!

Breakfast

The first meal of the day is pretty standard: eggs in some form, bacon or sausage, and occasionally a smoothie.  Photo 1: egg & tomato on an english muffin with tater tots.  Photo 2: huevos rancheros at one of our favorite brunch places here in Denver.

Lunch

The general habit is to have leftovers from the previous night or two.  My mother-in-law is very good at reinventing new meals from leftovers, but sometimes, we just have exactly what we ate the night before.  Photo 1: arugula salad with cheese.  Photo 2: chicken broccoli casserole.  Photo 3: lunch out!  Mediterranean salmon.

Dinner

Dinner is the real deal of the day.  At first it was my mother in law alone in the kitchen making everything, but now my husband or I try to jump in to help with the cooking while the other plays with the three-year-old in the room next door.  We're getting pretty good at making great dinners with multiple courses: soup or salad, entree, and a couple of sides.  Photo 1: chicken marengo.  Photo 2 & 3: salad, steak, and roasted brussel sprouts.  Photo 4: roasted cauliflower, green beans with candied pecans, and roasted cauliflower.  Photo 5: mini cheesecakes and mousse cups from the Whole Foods dessert case.

And let's not forget dessert!!

Looking back at these photos, I see that we've been pretty good at incorporating some color into our meals (veggies, salads, etc.).  What do you do to ensure variety in your meals?

9 comments:

  1. Mm that Mediterranean salmon looks delicious. Great choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mediterranean salmon was really really good - and the sauce made the dish. I have a cooking wish to get better at making sauces. One day...

      Delete
  2. Yum! Lots of good eats. And I remember eating in the middle of the night! I had trail mix by my bed for the first month or so... it's amazing how hungry you are when breastfeeding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trail mix has been on my middle of the night menu, too!

      Delete
  3. Everything looks really yummmy! You are really good about eating very balanced meals. The brunch place makes a pretty huevos rancheros. I try to add greens in anytime I have any kind of pasta, and I have been trying to keep canned peas and Lima beans on hand, I like fresh better but canned cooked quick and I don't end up throwing them away and I do like easy :) At least it makes me eat more greens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lucky that I love veggies. That didn't always used to be the case...I didn't eat anything green until I went to college. Thanks to peer pressure, I started eating salads, and eventually branched out beyond lettuce and tomatoes. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great meals!! That salmon looks to die for!! I also love eggs for breakfast becasue they seem to be the only thing that fills me up :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...