Monday, January 12, 2015

2015 Officially Begins Today


It's January 12 and the new year is finally kicking off for me.  That is because I am now officially on my own with Baby O.  I actually had a "dry run" last Monday, as I had a solo day between my mother in law leaving and my side of the family arriving.  That's right, we had two sets of visitors to help out with the newborn: my mother in law was here the entire month of December and then my brother, sister, and mother came out for the past week.

Their return to California marks the end of six weeks of family support with Baby O.  Oh, how sad I am that all the fun is over.  It was alot of working having people at the house, but oh so worth it.

I'm a bit terrified of how the rest of January will go.  For several reasons: (1) I am completely obsessed with getting Baby O quality sleep.  One of the sleep books my husband and I read (and we've read several) encourage that babies not be awake for more than three hours at a time.  (2) I've really gotten used to having people in the house with me at all hours of the day.  I'm not sure how I'll cope with being alone at home.  Well, not completely alone.  I've got Baby O with me.


When we moved from the Bay Area to Denver in the spring of 2013, I don't think I realized how much I'd miss my brother and sister.  Having had them here all week, I now realize that not only do I need them, but my kids need them.  My toddler cried last night after his uncle & auntie read him a book and tucked him into bed.  It was a heartfelt moment.

I probably would have cried, too, about my brother and sister returning to California, except that lately I've been too tired thanks to the lack of sleep I've been suffering through (yes, insert violins playing in the background here).  Baby O is still nursing 3-4 times a night, and after each nursing, it takes me awhile to fall back asleep.  I'm just not one of those mamas that has mastered nursing while laying down.  So this is my view several times a night (and day):

Despite being exhausted most of the time, I've been choosing spending time with my brother and sister over getting extra shuteye during the day.  On Sunday, we ventured out to the Denver Botanic Gardens to check out the latest exhibit, an orchid show.  Given that it was about 40 degrees outside, being indoors in a humid, warm greenhouse was a pretty nice way to spend the day.  And it smelled wonderful, too.

How was your weekend?  Do you have family that you wish lived closer by?

2 comments:

  1. Awww Marnie, that's hard after all that company to transition into a lot of alone time. Hopefully, you will feel okay. The sleep deprivation is rough, but look at her sweet little face :)
    A beautiful greenhouse sounds like a great way to spend a day when it's so cold outside.
    I only have a half sister, but no cousins or anything. My only other family other than my hub and son is my mom all the way in Montana, and I am really due a visit there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying hi Karen, always good to hear from you on my blog. The sleep deprivation is tough, but this is the second time around and I've got some new tactics this second time around. :-)

    I'll definitely be going back to the greenhouse on another cold day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...