Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Baby & Mama Postpartum: Week 4


I'm a little behind on my baby & mama postpartum updates, so you'll get two reports this week...this one and one for week 5.  It's hard to believe Baby O is moving through the newborn phase so quickly!  If you missed the other updates:



So how do I summarize week 4?  Well, in week 3 we lost the predictability of Baby O's sleep & eat schedule.  In week 4, we continue the challenge of introducing the bottle (we started in week 3).



Baby Updates for Week 4

Night owl: Baby O is no longer on a predictable eat & sleep schedule.  We began to see changes in Week 3, but Week 4 is even worse: we've had several episodes of Baby O staying up for three hours straight in the middle of the night.  Those were tough nights to get through!

Physical changes: Baby O is enjoying her activity mat for a few minutes at a time!

Mama Updates for Week 4

Breastfeeding, pumping, and bottles: I'm working with my husband to support him on getting Baby O to take the bottle.  We're sticking to offering the bottle once a day, every day.  There were some good days this week, and some not-so-good days this week.  We're keeping at it.

In the meanwhile, bottle feeding means I have to pump to get milk (we're using breastmilk, not formula).  I'm having a heck of a time remembering to pump every morning, so my supply is not consistent (in terms of getting milk for the bottle feedings).

Post C-Section Health: by the end of week 4, I am no longer taking any medications at all!  I'm feeling pretty good, and have to remember not to carry anything too heavy (i.e. anything heavier than the baby, which is kind of silly since I have to lift the carseat to and from the car to the stroller).

Mama win for the week: the day after Christmas, we took Baby O to the pediatrician for another weigh-in.  Because she is a late pre-term baby, our pediatrician wanted to make sure that Baby O is gaining weight.  Here's how we're progressing:
Day 1: 5 lbs, 8 oz.
Day 15: 5 lbs, 15 oz.
Day 26: 6 lbs, 10 oz.

All the effort I'm putting into breastfeeding continues to pay off, which is a good things, because it is a lot of work.

Day to Day Highlights for Week 4

Day 22 (Monday): I make the mistake of pumping all my milk at 11pm when I guess (incorrectly) that baby is going to sleep another hour or two.  Baby O wakes up at 11:30pm and wants to nurse.  I feed her what I can, but hubby has to try and feed the just-pumped-milk but Baby O doesn't like the bottle.  Eek!  We are up until 3am...
Day 23: another late night where we try to give her the bottle.  Baby O takes the milk from the bottle but doesn't want to go to sleep.  We are up from midnight to 3am again... We must be doing something wrong.
Day 24 (Christmas Eve): after two bad nights, I was determined to go to bed at 7 tonight, but it was Christmas Eve!  I just couldn't.  So I stayed up until 9 so that I could catch part of a movie with everyone and then paid dearly for it.  Baby O decided that she would eat every two hours so I only got snatches of sleep.  Of course, this is totally normal newborn behavior.
Day 25: it was a very relaxing Christmas day for all.  I've noticed that on days when baby and I don't leave the house, we actually do better: we feed better, we sleep better, and we're both in a better mood, generally.
Day 26 (day after Christmas): I actually got some sleep so I woke up and was able to get some bargain shopping done online this morning.
Day 27 (Saturday): there's a pattern going on here: good night of sleep, bad night of sleep, good night of sleep, bad night of sleep.  Thanks to cumulative days of sleep deprivation, I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with getting some solid hours of sleep in the middle of the night.
Day 28: Wow, I can't believe we're at day 28.  Four weeks at home with Baby O...  Happy one month, Baby O!

Any moms out there remember if the one month milestone was a big deal for them?

6 comments:

  1. Great weight gain!!! Nice job, mama! Just love her little legs popping up in the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! I love that breastfeeding is less of a mystery this second time around. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great weight gain Baby O and Mama! I think we lucked out on the bottle front since Connor has always, except two random occasions, taken one (starting at about three weeks). However, at five and a half months we still frequently have nights where he wants to eat every two hours so you win some you lose some lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I talked to a lactation consultant about our challenges with introducing the bottle and she replied, some babies are born "bottle" babies, others are born "breast" babies, and then the rest are the talented crew who can navigate between both worlds. It made me smile to hear that.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you're doing great! Just keep pumping at the same time everyday and the supply will be there. It takes a while for your body to adjust. Doing great though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Christen. That is definitely something I need to work on: pumping consistently.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...