Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Eat More Veggies


Happy Wednesday!  I'm linking up with Jenn from Peas and Crayons because food is one of those things I really love about life.  Nothing makes me happier than seeing a good crop of brussel sprouts at the grocery store -- which I spotted recently.  And then I bought a truckload (OK, not really, but I would have if I could have eaten a truckload).  I am really picky about how the produce looks.  If it doesn't look good, I won't buy it.
Let's start with what I've been eating lately... after all, it is WIAW #32 for me!

First of all, I've been making an effort to snack on healthier things, like fruit (mmm oranges are so good right now):
 And nuts... I like to buy raw nuts from the bulk section of the grocery store, roast 'em at home and toss 'em with a little butter, brown sugar, and chipotle powder, and salt.  Delish!
 And we pulled out the trusty spiralizer the other night and made some zoodles (zucchini noodles) to go with our meatballs & marinara sauce:



Eat More Veggies

So let's talk veggies!  This may be something that is one of your new year's resolutions: eat more veggies!
How can you get more veggies into your diet, especially in the winter, when some of the summer favorites (tomatoes, asparagus, bell peppers, and eggplant, just to name a few) may not be in season and/or available where you live?


#1 Roast Root Vegetables

My husband and I have learned that in the fall & winter, roasting veggies is a great alternative to grilling veggies (which is what we do in the summer) and it gives the veggies a great flavor.  We also love roasting beets, green beans, cauliflower, and butternut squash.  All the winter root vegetables (butternut squash, acorn squash, parsnips, rutabaga, sweet potatoes) roast really well.  Added bonus for turning on your oven in the middle of the winter: it warms up the house nicely!

#2 Put them in your Smoothies

Throw those greens in!  Spinach, kale, wheat grass.  Or if you're daring, romaine, arugula, you get the picture!  Avocado also disappears into smoothies without affecting the flavor much.

#3 Start Every Meal with a Salad

Not only does starting your meal with a salad ensure that you're eating more greens, it will fill you up so you'll eat less of the main meal, which may not be as healthy.

#4 Build the Rainbow on Your Plate

If you focus on ensuring there is a multitude of colors on your plate, you'll most likely reach for more vegetables.  Where is the best place to get food in colors like red, yellow, and purple?  (I hope you didn't list your favorite chip/cracker/other processed food).  I made this pizza and it was soooooo yummy.  And can you see the rainbow?


Are you trying to eat more plants?  What is your favorite way to ensure you eat more veggies?

15 comments:

  1. Lots of great vegie photos! Sometimes I get a head start on my vegetables for the day by having some at breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love making a quick scramble with some veggies in it.

      Delete
  2. That pizza is so beautiful!! And quite the far cry from the cheesy mess I tend to make - hehe.
    Absolutely love roasted cauliflower, when I'm eating alone one of my go-to's is to just roast a whole cauliflower, make up some sort of protein and call it a day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was almost too beautiful to eat, Sophie. But I did, and it was even yummier than it looked. Roasted cauliflower is pretty awesome. And it doesn't stink up the house as much as it would if prepared other ways...

      Delete
  3. I have been on a roasting vegetable kick this week. I usually stir fry in the winter (and grill in the summer) but roasting is so easy since you don't have to attend to your veggies once you put them in the oven (except maybe to flip once or twice).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm so over steaming veggies (boring). But stir fry is another quick and easy option!

      Delete
  4. Your pizza looks amazing! You are so right about starting a meal with salad, I have been slacking lately and that will be a great way to get some greens in again. How did you make your zucchini noodles so pretty? I keep trying to make them from squash, but I can't get pretty noodle looking ones, they end up looking mushy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, we have to introduce you to the spiralizer, aka Paderno. Go check it out:
      http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ

      Delete
  5. YES to veggies!!! I love starting a meal with salad or at least having some on the side. It makes me feel like I get to eat TONS of food haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! Of COURSE you would love veggies, with a name like yours! :-)

      Delete
  6. I am totally addicted to brussel sprouts. I use Skoop Sweet greens to extra veggies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Protein powder from veggies is a great way to get some extra veggies in. So many awesome ideas from you guys!

      Delete
  7. Every picture looks amazing!! I need to try the "zoodles" and those nuts, they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoodles take a little getting used to, especially if you're in love with pasta. I've been making zoodles for over a year now and I think they are just as good (if not better) than pasta, but that wasn't the case when I first started making them...

      Delete
  8. Yay for veggies!! I finally made it to my local farmers market this past weekend and they were selling some amazing brussels sprouts. I loaded up:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...