Sunday, January 11, 2015

Exercise & Meal Plans: January 2015, Week 2

The first week of meal planning for the year went fairly well!  My brother, sister, and mother were in town for a week to help with the newborn (and provide a little fun and entertainment for the toddler).  They also pitched in with cooking:

I chose recipes that we've made before, and I'll share some photos of some of the meals we enjoyed at the end, so if you enjoy food photos, make sure you read through to the very end.

I'm expanding my weekly meal planning to include exercise plans.  One of the meal planning link-up sponsors, Laura, always shares her exercise from the past week, and I'm inspired to start exercising post-baby.  I'll be seeing my OB/GYN this week and I'm hoping she'll give me the OK to do more than walking, but for now, here's what I'm planning to do:


Exercise Plan for January 11-17

Monday: walk 20-30 minutes and/or light weights
Wednesday: walk 20-30 minutes and/or light weights
Friday: walk 20-30 minutes and/or light weights
Saturday or Sunday: yoga

Meal Plan for January 11-17

After my brother, sister, and mother leave on Monday, it will just be me and the baby at home, so I'll need to be able to prepare meals that are easy and quick.  During the day, I'll focus on salads and at night, when my husband is able to help with cooking, we'll stick to simple meals that don't require alot of preparation.

I've been experimenting with making my salads more exciting!  I won't have set plans for specific salads each day.  Instead, I'm stocking up my fridge with the following ingredients and I'll throw together different combinations each day, to keep the salads unique and interesting (I really hate eating the same thing day in, day out).

Greens: butter lettuce, romaine lettuce, kale, baby spinach, arugula
Protein: chicken, steak, salmon
Veggies: roasted asparagus, roasted beets, carrots, tomatoes, avocado, 
Other goodies: goat cheese, feta, pecans, almonds, walnuts, apples, pear, grapes
Dressing: I like to make my own salad dressing.  I'll share some salad dressing recipes in my next post!

Here are a few salad combinations I've been making and enjoying over the last couple of weeks:
Apple, Pecan, Goat Cheese with Romaine & Arugula
Kale & Romaine Salad with Pear, Cranberry, Feta, and Pumpkin Seeds
Arugula with Oranges, Beets, Goat Cheese, and Walnuts

Meals from the Last Week (or so):

I like to share recipes (and photos) from meals that we enjoyed -- just in case any of you are looking for some new ideas for your kitchen!

Perfect Pot Roast (Pioneer Woman):
Green Beans with Bacon and Onions (Food Network):

Beet, Orange, and Arugula Salad (New York Times)

Want more meal planning ideas?

A big thanks to this link-ups meal planning hostesses, Laura from Mommy Run Fast and Jill from Fitness, Health, and Happiness.  Check out their pages for more ideas and other bloggers meal plans!!


Do you enjoy eating salads?  What do you like to put in your salads?


10 comments:

  1. Your salads look SO good! We never make any interesting salads...I need to change that! Great that you're starting a workout plan since having your baby. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle! I liked your smoothie challenge...I'll have to add that to my food planning repertoire!

      Delete
  2. I'm drooling just reading the ingredients of your salads... yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those salads look amazing! I am so not creative when it comes to salad, but I do love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My love of salads comes and goes. We'll see how long I can do salads before I tire of them, despite my efforts to keep up the variety!

      Delete
  4. It looks like you 100% succeeded on experimenting with salad toppings. Each one looks divine! I'm a big fan of taco salads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie - how do you even have time to be online?! Take care of those babies!!

      Delete
  5. Those salads look so good! I love a good salad!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your salads were looking awesome! I love edamame and feta on greens :) and I afan of dried cranberries too. Is that your brother wearing the apron? cute !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh edamame sounds like a good addition. I do sometimes use feta, that is a great cheese to use.

      Yes, that is my brother wearing MY apron. He is confident in his masculinity. :-)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...