Thursday, January 22, 2015

Falling In Love, Sleep Deprivation, and Fresh Snow

When you're up in the middle of the night two or three times a night, that's a lot of free time to think about random things.  Here's what I've been dwelling upon lately when I'm awake nursing Baby O.

1. To fall in love with anyone, do this:  did anyone else see this article in the New York Times a week or so ago?  It's a study trying to prove that one can fall in love with anyone given this set of 36 questions.  After reading the article, my husband thought it would be fun to go through the questions together.  We've only gotten through the first set of questions, and we hope to get through all 36.

2. Apparently I have a "high needs" baby.  This is what came up when I Googled "my newborn wants to be held all day long."  I'm thinking "high needs" is another word for colic, but I'm not certain Baby O has colic.  For the most part, she's a fairly peaceful and sleepy baby from 10pm-6am (with occasional stretches of 2-3 hours where she just wants to be awake and hang out).  Here's that the "experts" have to say about how to deal with a high needs baby.  And here's some opposing advice.

I'm just taking it day by day, trying different things.  Earlier this week, I took Baby O to the mall to get some walking in (it was in the low 30s outside) and I put her in the sling and wore her around the mall during my walk.  Carrying 7 pounds around makes a difference!

3. Baby O's favorite spot in the house is...her changing station.  Seriously.  She'll be crying up a storm and I'll figure, she's already upset, let's change her diaper.  Then I'll put her down in this corner and she'll see the birds and stop crying.  It's amazing.

4. I'm obsessed with understanding what sleep is and why we need it.  I've been getting more sleep this week, but I know that every night could be different, so I've been reading up on sleep basics and how sleep deprivation affects us.  I haven't been this sleep deprived since college (not counting baby #1) and some days I am amazed that I can be so perky between 8am and noon (only to collapse into an afternoon slumber with Baby O).  Every night I cross my fingers that it will be a decent night of rest for myself, my husband, and Baby O.

5. On the plus side, it snowed on Wednesday!  I love a fresh dusting of snow.  It snowed pretty much all day Wednesday which totally made my day...
Thank you to Amanda from Running with Spoons for hosting this lovely Thursday link up!

What do you think of the 36 questions -- could you see two people falling in love with each other if they went through all 36 questions together?

12 comments:

  1. I've heard about that set of 36 questions, and the first thing that came to my mind was... but what if you don't like their answers? Lol. And I'm borderline obsessive with making sure I get enough sleep. I know a lot of people sacrifice sleep in favour of getting more done, but I actually found that makes me a lot less productive over the long run because the sleep debt adds up to the point where I might be awake, but I'm not really there. Ya know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess that would be a problem if you didn't like their answers. Probably not a good chance of falling in love if that happens.

      And yeah, I agree, I used to try and stay up late to get stuff done, but realized pretty quick that that plan was counter-productive...

      Delete
  2. I heard about the 36 question on the radio. It is really interesting...I can't wait to hear what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll let you know, as soon as we find time to finish the 2nd and 3rd set of questions!

      Delete
  3. Those nights spent awake with a newborn are so special. I look back fondly on them now that I'm not sleep deprived even though I know that it's hard getting through that stage. The walls by your baby changing station are beautiful! I love the birds too, so I can understand why it calms her. :) The snow is really pretty too. I like to have snow on the ground, I figure if it's going to be cold we might as well have some pretty snow to enjoy! Have a great weekend, Marnie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, as a mother of 3, you probably understand: after you have your first, it makes it that much less stressful to have the next child, and the next, and the next...

      I hope you are having a great weekend too!

      Delete
  4. I have told you before in my comments that sleep deprivation was something I was unprepared to handle as a new mom. My thinking was so jarred, so all over the place. Later in life, because I am old and menopausal, I have learned when I have a really bad sleepless night, just smile and nod the next day until I can get some sleep lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'm with you...with baby #2, I feel like I'm taking the sleep deprivation a little more in stride!

      Delete
  5. I think I will try the questions with my hubby too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you and your hubby have fun with the questions!!

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of the set of questions - I'll check that out for us, too ;)

    I love fresh snow, as well!! We had only one snow this season, but because we're still doing work on the roof, that was actually a bit inconvenient. I hope next year, we can actually have a real winter.

    I hope you guys have been able to get a bit more sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yuliya, I hope you enjoy those questions! I can't wait to hear more about the house renovation!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...