Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Day in the Life: Flying Solo

I am officially a single parent with two kids: a two month old and a three year old.  Fortunately, it's only for a day and a half.  And yet, it has the potential to be the most terrifying 36 hours I could imagine.  By the time you read this, I will be well into this latest test of parenthood.

Let's rewind a bit and look at Tuesday: another day with my newborn...

4:45am - Baby O starts making little noises and stretching her little hands which is her signal that it is time to eat.  I nurse her while watching updates on CNN and the Weather Channel on Blizzard Juno.  I'm a bit hungry so I find some bacon and half an avocado from the previous day.  We go back to bed at 6am.
8:20am - I wake up with a start and text my husband: did he take the toddler to school this morning?  I was supposed to be on drop-off duty this morning.  He texts me back, "You and Baby O were so sound asleep and K woke up early enough this morning that we had enough time to eat breakfast and get to school without rushing."  Yay!  Back to sleep for another 20 minutes.
9am - We're finally up and out of bed.  I nurse Baby O.  Then I make breakfast:
10am - I've signed Baby O up for baby hour at our local library so I get us out the door.  We get to the library at 10:20am only to discover that baby hour started at 9:30, not 10:30!!  Maybe next week...  Because we're meeting my husband fairly close by for lunch, I decide to take Baby O for a walk in the neighborhood surrounding the library.  It's 70F outside and gorgeous.
11am - a quick nursing session in the car before we meet with my husband for lunch.  It's rare that we can have lunch together but whenever his schedule allows it, we do try and grab a bite together.

11:30am - lunch with my husband!!  And the best part?  Baby O slept through the entire meal so we get some quality time together.  I try the burger with a lettuce wrap.  It's pretty good!  And the burger is so filling I barely eat any of my fries.
12:30pm - a quick stop at the grocery store for some items for the next two days.  My husband is flying out tonight for a one-day business trip which means I've got two kids to care for Tuesday night and all day Wednesday.  I pick up some veggies, chicken, sweet potatoes, apples and almond butter:

1pm - back home.  Another round of nursing and I watch the rest of The Motorcycle Diaries while Baby O naps with me.  My brother tipped me off to the movie and I highly recommend it!

3pm - I peek in my fridge and peruse the veggies & fruit we prepped on Sunday for the week.  I settle on strawberries:

3:45 - after a snack for me, a diaper change, and more nursing, I manage to get Baby O to nap in bed which means I get a nap too!

5:15pm - my husband comes home with the toddler and then dashes off to the airport.  I ease Baby O off my arm and tiptoe out of the room to go and prepare dinner for the toddler and warm up leftovers for myself.  The toddler plays at the dining table and we chat about school.

6:15pm - dinner!  Leftover Thai red curry with chicken and vegetables that my husband made last night (with roasted cauliflower rice!) except tonight there is no leftover cauli rice.  I make regular jasmine rice.  The toddler has pasta with butter & cheese.

7pm - playtime for the toddler while I cleanup the kitchen.  Then the bedtime routine: bath, brush teeth, storytime...minus the bath.  I'm not ready to do it all.

8:30pm  - toddler is tucked in.  My final challenge for the night?  Getting Baby O tired enough to go to bed.  8-11pm is her witching hour...some nights she will cry the entire time (except when we're nursing) and has trouble falling asleep.  I'm typing up my WIAW post right now and hoping we fall asleep...before 11pm.

Thanks to Jenn for hosting What I Ate Wednesday!

Do you have trouble falling asleep at night?  I have a theory that insomniacs didn't sleep well as children.  Any stories out there to support or refute this theory of mine?

16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh your little boy is so flippin cute!! I could just squeeze him in those jammies! Good luck being a single parent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, mama!! It's always tough to solo parent, nut especially with a new baby!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - you've been in my shoes, you know how it can be!

      Delete
  3. At least you have a short stint as a single parent, I know you will miss him, there's always so much to do with small children.
    That looks like a Red Robin lettuce wrap to me, am I right?! My hubby and love going there once in awhile and sweet potato fries are so yumm.
    You do so good with all your healthy easy access prep! I am always impressed by the variety you have. I love the Vega shake mix, one of the best out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call - yes it is a Red Robin lettuce wrap. I never used to eat there, but now that we have kids, I think we'll be eating there pretty often. I should check out the sweet potato fries, thanks for mentioning them!

      Delete
  4. My little guy has those same feet pajamas on tonight! I just love him in "feeties" as he calls them. He stick looks so young and little when he wears them :) It all sounded like a great day! Good luck with the rest of the time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love these pajamas...I sometimes joke with my husband I'm going to get a pair just to match the kids (as if!)

      Delete
  5. Omg! You and your baby are so cute :) I couldn't imagine being a single parent with 2 kids for 2 days! My hubby is gone for a week at a time and I only have 1 kid and sometimes go a little crazy. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks LIndsey. I used to freak out taking care of 1 kid, and I'm sure I'll soon have 2 kids mastered.

      Delete
  6. I have a major craving for bacon and avocado right now haha. But really, your family is so cute!!!! It was also very sweet of your husband to let you sleep in a bit.

    I have no idea if I had trouble sleeping as a baby/kid. I do know that I heard everrything and still do. If I go to bed before my in laws are home, the sound of them shutting their car doors wakes me up. I'd like to blame the fact that I have a kid now for that and my fear that he'll climb out of bed and tumble down the stairs or something else crazy, but I was like that before, too.

    Good luck alone with your two cuties ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea either, which is why I'm asking other people. I do know that when I was four, my mother sent me to a neighbor's house, where a woman ran an in-house daycare and whenever it was naptime, I just couldn't do it. So I'm guessing my mother didn't make me nap as an infant or toddler.

      Delete
  7. Aw, what a nice day! Nice that you and your husband had a quiet lunch while the baby was asleep. What a cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when my husband travels, me alone with 4 kids...by the end of his trip, things aren't pretty at home lol. Have a great day :)

    Jen@jpabstfitness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, four kids?! Wow! I guess I have nothing to complain about!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...