Friday, January 9, 2015

Friday Five: I Love Denver

I've lived in many cities: Honolulu, Boston, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, and San Diego, and now I call Denver my home.  I would hope I know a few things about U.S. cities, having lived in all these great towns.  Given this small boast, I'm really happy to live in Denver.

We moved from the San Francisco Bay Area to Denver in the spring of 2013 and that big move was part of the reason I started my blog!  We've been here over a year and a half and back in August I shared some of the reasons I love Colorado.

I think it's fair to say that all the reasons I love Colorado also apply to Denver, so I need to dig a little deeper for additional reasons I love Denver.  Here's what I came up with...

1. Denver gets four seasons.

OK, maybe not a big deal to some of you, but after living in places like San Diego and Honolulu, it's refreshing to live in a city where the leaves change color and snow falls occasionally.  It really helps me get in the mood for some of the holidays like Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas.

And I appreciate the summer that much more.

2. Denver does have great food.  You just have to look for it.

For any of you that follow my blog regularly, you know that food is a very important part of my life.  I love cooking it, eating it, and hunting down all the best restaurants in any city I live in or visit.  When we first moved to Colorado, we had a little trouble finding food that met the standards of other places we'd lived like San Francisco and Los Angeles, but we've done some exploring and we have found great places like The Plimoth or The Populist.

3. Culture!

I was a little worried about finding culture in Denver.  This is going to sound terribly snobbish, but after living in so many very cosmopolitan cities, I'd come to learn that the San Francisco Ballet company is much better than what I found in San Diego (and in Honolulu -- which has no ballet company) and that I would much rather go to a museum in New York, Boston, or San Francisco than some of the museums in other small cities.  In the past year, we've made an effort to get out and about seeking performing arts in Denver.  We recently saw Chicago and a great performance given by the Denver Symphony.

4. Denver is only a few hours away from some world-class snow.

We tried to do a little snowboarding last winter, but it was a bit challenging because our toddler wasn't potty trained, and apparently that's a requirement if you want to sign your kid up for ski lessons.  Even without the winter sports, the mountains are so incredibly beautiful, that we plan to try and get up there at least once this winter with our toddler and our newborn.  And future winters?  I can't wait...

5. The Great Outdoors

I've spent most of my life in California, where there is so much to do outside from surfing to hiking to skiing or snowboarding.  But I have to say the space available in Colorado makes Denver (and it's surrounding areas) just the best place to be if you want to be outdoors.  Check out the photos in my post.  I think they speak for themselves!


I'm linking up with the lovely running trio, Courtney, Cynthia, and Mar and their Friday Five series, where they've asked other bloggers to brag about their hometowns.  Take a virtual vacation and check out the other cities/towns (as I know I will!) and make a few new friends while you're at it.

Now it's your turn!  Brag a bit about your hometown!  I'd love to know more about where you live and if you love it or not.







18 comments:

  1. Denver is such a great city!! Great food and drinks...ahem, craft beers. :) Some girlfriends and I are going on a getaway to a cabin in Colorado (just outside of Georgetown) over MLK weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sounds like fun! As soon as my little peanut is a year old, I'm going to have to celebrate with a getaway with some of my girlfriends!!

      Delete
  2. oh my word, your pictures! beautiful. i travel semi regularly to boulder for work (and lived in denver as a small child) - i love the area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney! That's a real compliment as I've been working on improving the quality of my picture taking through most of 2014, so thank you, thank you, thank you!!

      Delete
  3. I love Denver. It's on my "cities I'd move to" list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We flew to Denver for the holidays, but drove outside to Colorado Springs. Definitely a great place for outdoor enthusiasts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We visit Colorado Springs pretty regularly. I'm guessing you checked out Pikes Peak!

      Delete
  5. Love having 4 seasons!! I've only been in and out Denver at the airport. i spent some time in Fort Collins but would love to actually hang out in Denver proper for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, alot of people stop into Denver thanks to the large airport there. I hope you get to check out Denver sometime!

      Delete
  6. Oh Denver looks just beautiful! Your photos just make it seem so must more gorgeous! The next time we are in the US, I'm pretty sure we're going to try to go (I also have an uncle and his family there). I also love having seasons - here in NL, there is pretty much 1 season (gray and rainy season), but we do appreciate the sun a lot more now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember you having relatives out here. I hope we get to meet one day!

      Delete
  7. I miss Colorado so much! We moved to DC from Colorado about 3 years ago. One of my favorite places to live!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had no idea! I just found your blog recently; I got the impression you'd been in DC for years!

      Delete
  8. I have never been to Denver but I am sure I would like it. Having four seasons is wonderful, a lot like Maine. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Maine is beautiful, too!

      Delete
  9. Colorado is high on the list of places my husband wants to visit! So, someday we will get there I am sure! Your pictures are beautiful! Looks like you guys have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! Yes we love Colorado very much. We may never return to California...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...