Monday, January 26, 2015

Making the Most of Sunday

There is nothing like having a newborn to make you realize how precious your time is.

On Sunday, we tried to squeeze as much family time in as possible.  All while trying to keep the day feeling relaxed and low-key so that we didn't feel drained by the end of the weekend.  Talk about walking a fine line!

I think we did a pretty good job this past Sunday.


7:30am - both my husband and I have been half asleep / half awake since 4:30am.  Baby O has been yammering in her sleep and waking here and there, keeping both of us in a half slumber.  Through the baby monitor, I hear our three year old talking to himself and I know that one of us has to get up out of bed.  I volunteer.  We eat a small breakfast together.  I laugh at the fact that my son is wearing his pajamas inside out.

9:30am - two hours later, everyone is dressed and we are heading out the door.  My husband and I had discussed plans for Sunday the day before and agreed that we needed to take advantage of the awesome weather for the day.  A high of 60F!  We are definitely getting outside.

10:30am - we're enjoying brunch at a new diner.  Pancakes so sweet they are practically dessert for the toddler:

11:30am - ahhh warm weather!  We went out for a family walk/run/bike along the Platte River trail, one of the many awesome trails here in Denver.  The trail options are definitely one of the things I love love love about Colorado.


1:30pm - after our outdoor adventure, we make a stop at the grocery store to pick up food for the first half of the week (per our meal plan!), and then it's naptime for just about everyone.

2:30pm - I squeeze in some housecleaning while both kids are still asleep.  These days, I have to fit in whatever chores I can whenever the situation presents itself.

5:30pm - most of the time, I have no problem bringing a crying infant out with us when we go to eat.  But when it comes to eating at some of the nicer restaurants, I feel guilty.  Having lived in places like San Francisco and Los Angeles where fine dining never/rarely involves having to listen a crying infant, I admit that I feel guilty about my infant crying at a nice restaurant.  I know that one obvious option is to hire a babysitter and save the really nice restaurants for date night, but I'm just not ready to let someone else watch my seven week old baby.

So I decided to try something different: I made dinner reservations for a Sunday night and we brought the kids, figuring fewer people would be dining out on a Sunday night.  Bonus?  I was able to easily score reservations at one of the restaurants that normally I would have to reserve weeks in advance to get a table on a Friday or Saturday night.

The verdict?  We will definitely be doing more fine dining with both our kids on Sunday night.  Although we had a brief episode of Baby O crying, I didn't feel as guilty about having a crying baby with us.

Have you ever had to deal with a crying baby in a nice restaurant?  Is it common where you live or not common?  (When I lived in San Francisco, it was almost unheard of to see/hear a crying baby in a very nice restaurant.)

8 comments:

  1. What a great weekend! I love getting out on the trails and enjoying the unseasonably warm weather!! Saturday was great here too, so we took the pup out for a long walk. Today is supposed to be 60 degrees too...running weather!! We don't see a ton of babies out at the nicer restaurants here, but we usually have later reservations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's another thing we intentionally do: we dine early. Sometimes it helps ensure there won't be too many people at the restaurant.

      Delete
  2. I can always count on some really pretty Colorado pics from you :) 60's is a nice treat in winter. Sunday night out sounds like it would be a lot better than Saturday! Children being cranky don't honesty bother me, the one thing that does bother my hub and I- is when someone changes a diaper at the table. We saw that twice now that I can recall and I could not believe it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh a diaper change in public. I agree with you - that is one thing I would not want to see either!

      Delete
  3. What amazing views! Very jealous of your beautiful weather! We still have a few months before we start seeing those temps and no snow!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's been fun watching IG to see your photos from Blizzard 2015! So far it looks like you and your kids are having fun!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like an amazing weekend!!! You've had some great weather it seems! We just recently had our first snow -.-

    Anyway, I also agree with the restaurants. It's kind of weird because my husband and I very very rarely go out to eat, but when we do, I'm never sure if we should take the toddler with us. He's not a newborn, but usually eating out here takes 2-3 hours so it's a long time for him to be patient with us.

    The dish from the restaurant you guys went to looks delicious, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, eating out probably feels like an eternity to the poor toddlers of the world. Our son does eat, but once he's done, he needs some kind of entertainment so we usually try and put a movie on the table very discretely for our son...

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...