Saturday, January 3, 2015

Meal Planning for the New Year


How is the new year treating you?  We're only a few days in, but I am ready to take on 2015.  That includes my approach to preparing meals.  Every Sunday, I link up with Laura from Mommy Run Fast and Jill from Fitness, Health, and Happiness and their meal planning link party.  It definitely keeps me motivated to plan my meals every weekend.

2014 was a big year for my husband and I - specifically, when it comes to food: we've found a way of eating that works for us; we've learned that we prefer making as many of our meals at home as possible; and we really enjoy food that is made from scratch, which means very little processed food in our diets.

However, we are now parents to a five-week-old newborn, which means my husband and I won't be cooking in the kitchen together for awhile (one of our favorite weekend activities).  I have a feeling I'll be doing alot of prepping & cooking on the weekend, and less cooking on weeknights.  So it's time to shift to recipes that work with this approach.

So here's my meal plan for this week.  My brother and sister are going to be in town, visiting from California, and they've promised to try and help with cooking, so I thought this would be a good week to try out a specific meal plan.  You'll note that I have recipes picked out for breakfast, which I wouldn't normally do for the weekdays, but since I have family visiting, we'll be sitting down to breakfast every morning...

Oh - and if you're wondering about my intro photo?  That's a collage of a typical lunch over the past holidays... we did a good job of building lunch out of leftovers.  I learned a few lessons from having my mother-in-law in town for a whole month, to help out with the newborn, including how to make leftovers look exciting.  Maybe I can post about that another day.


Meal Plan for First Week of 2015!

Most days, lunch will be leftovers from the previous day and/or salad of some kind.

Sunday, breakfast: country french omelet
Sunday, dinner: sausage and kale soup with roasted broccoli or glazed carrots
Monday, breakfast: peach-mango-banana smoothie with protein powder
Monday, dinner: take-out

Tuesday, breakfast: blackberry-banana smoothie with protein powder
Thursday, breakfast: Sausage Potato Pie
Thursday, dinner: leftovers and beet orange and arugula salad
Friday, breakfast: Mollie Katzen's Amazing Overnight Waffles and bacon
Friday, dinner: Roman-style chicken and roasted broccoli

Saturday, breakfast: croissant french toast, breakfast sausages
Saturday, dinner: dine out

Breakfast is an important meal in our house.  Do you have breakfast every day?  What do you like to have for breakfast?

13 comments:

  1. How nice that you have more family coming to visit! Unless you count coffee I'm not a breakfast person. I don't know what it is but I have to be up for a few hours before I can eat anything. I do love breakfast foods though so I am a big fan of brunch lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends like you who can't stomach much too early in the hour. When I was into my marathon training, all I could fit in was a banana or oatmeal before my long Saturday runs. I would be famished by the time I was done with 90-120 minutes of running!!

      Delete
  2. More family! That's great! I do always eat breakfast, and in the past, most days, I ate an English muffin with peanut butter, but since the diet, I am getting used to eggs. I am actually loving my egg white omelets on low carb day when I can add some cheese! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I went Paleo earlier this year, I have embraced eggs in every form or fashion. Hope your carb cycling diet goes well!

      Delete
  3. Your meal plan looks wonderful!! I may have to add a few of your ideas to my upcoming plans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope they work out for you! I'll also report back if any of the recipes were real winners.

      Delete
  4. I used to be so good about eating breakfast. Now, it's kind of a grab and run kind of thing. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a job once where I was in the office before 7am every day, so I got into the habit of picking up breakfast on the way in. I was *terrible* at packing a breakfast to bring to work.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the birth of your child! Great that you have family able to come in and help out. All of your meals look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made a spicy sausage and spinach soup last week. It was great and so perfect for the cold weather! The Roman-style Chicken recipe sounds amazing! I am definitely going to save that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum, that sounds really good! I may have to email you for that recipe. The sausage and spinach soup sounds like it could be as good as my sausage and kale soup!

      Delete
  7. It all sounds so good! Yes, we are big breakfast people. My daughter loves oatmeal with blueberries and my husband could eat eggs every day, so it's usually a mix of those two. I throw in yogurt or protein pancakes occasionally, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...