Wednesday, January 14, 2015

WIAW #31: Cooking with Baby


So far, my first week alone with Baby O is going pretty well!  Let's talk about the food aspect of my life-with-newborn: eating is pretty important when you're taking care of a little one.  I'm hungry.  All.  The.  Time.  So, you can imagine, food is even more important than it was before baby was born.  And that's saying alot.  Because, you know, I loooooove food.

Unfortunately, the challenge lies in finding time to cook when you (1) are exhausted all the time; (2) have your hands full most of the day, preventing you from making meals.

My family was in town for a week to help out with Baby O.  Before my brother, sister, and mother left, the last favor I asked from them was to help with food prep on Sunday night so that we would have a refrigerator full of food that was peeled, sliced, and diced.  It looks like I might need to work a little bit on my meal planning, because all that I asked them to prep was some butternut squash, brussel sprouts, and carrots.  Not bad, but I think there's room for improvement.


One other area I could work on is snacks...that's because I've been turning to this for my snacking:
So I went and restocked the fruit bowl:

Here's what I ate on Wednesday Tuesday.... (breakfast) bacon & egg on an english muffin, berry-banana smoothie; (lunch) lasagna; (dinner) chicken marsala with roasted butternut squash and brussel sprouts; (snacks) grapes, almonds (no picture), decaf coffee, mother's milk tea (a great way to increase my milk supply -- I'm breastfeeding Baby O).

Cooking dinner is proving to be a challenge.  On Monday, I was able to prep dinner while Baby O was sleeping, even if it was three hours before dinnertime.  Prepping early helped because all I had to do was throw everything together just before we ate.

Tuesday dinner wasn't so easy...I wasn't able to get Baby O to sleep for very long in the afternoon -- at six weeks, you can't expect much in terms of a predictable sleep schedule -- but we had the brussel sprouts and butternut squash already prepped, so when hubby got home (early!) he ended up cooking dinner, which was great, as I was exhausted from trying to soothe Baby O for most of the day.  But dinner was fantastic: chicken marsala with roasted brussel sprouts and butternut squash:

I put together a very loose meal plan for this week (see here), but my husband is all for getting involved in planning dinners for next week, so hopefully we'll have a better meal prep come next Sunday.  I'll let you know at next week's WIAW!

Thanks to Jenn from Peas & Crayons for hosting one of my favorite link-ups of the week!

Do you prep for meals on Sundays before the week starts?  What's your approach to cooking for the week?  Do you prep meals to take to work or just meals for home?

10 comments:

  1. Meal prep is key! I plan out all of our dinners for the week and we shop on Saturday or Sunday. It helps keep me organized. I missed your meal plan post, but that pot roast looked amazing!!! As does Tuesday's dinner. I love your healthy and delicious meals that you share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie - I think I'm getting that meal prep is key if you want to do all your shopping before the weekend starts. Before Baby O was born, I had the luxury of going out during the day and buying groceries for just a few days but now it looks like we need to spend less time shopping so it's meal prep on Sundays!

      Delete
  2. Meal prep is key! I have 4 kids, the youngest is 9 months and some days I barely can throw things together because she is super clingy...like today ;)

    Jen@jpabstfitness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, with 4 kids, you would know that making food takes a little extra planning.

      Delete
  3. I don't even have kids and sometimes have a hard time pulling my act together enough to plan meals. I admire you for being able to stay on top of everything! Congrats on the new baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that was me not too long ago: no kids and still challenged in putting meals together. My days of eating out are looooong gone. :)

      Delete
  4. Meal prep is definitely important and I have been majorly neglecting it, too. Even with just my toddler around, I struggle to find the time to cook meals when I don't do it. My grandma is here right now which is amazing, but once she leaves, I know I need to get back to being organised. Especially with all of the recipe testing, and blogging recipes, I need to save time wherever I can haha. I also think that Godiva makes a great snack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it nice to have someone else to do the cooking? My MIL was busy in the kitchen the whole month she was here... every dinner was a big production, and the food was great, but I'm kinda glad to be back to simple, basic meals. Not a whole of cleanup is the best part.

      Delete
  5. I have found that prepping all at once doesn't work for me. I can't consistently say that Sunday, I will have 3 hours to prep all our food. So what has been working for me is when I cook one meal, I make enough for two or even three (or at least variations) of the same meal. Also, I use a lot of bell peppers and onions in the week, so the first time I go to use them, I just cut them all up. This adds a little time to the first time I make something, but saves so much time later in the week! Good luck figuring it all out with a newborn! You are doing amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A-men! I will see if prepping everything at once will work. I think we will be able to prep for Monday-Wednesday, and then we'll wing Thursday and Friday (I'll still have recipes planned out, I just may not prep that far out). I'm still trying to figure out which things should be chopped ahead (carrots, bell peppers, onions, etc) and what should not (apples -- they turn brown unless you put a little lemon on them, right?)

      Thanks Sandy!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...