Thursday, February 5, 2015

Thinking Out Loud...Asleep?


I've been writing my latest Thinking Out Loud post across several sleep training sessions this week.  Baby O is now two months old so we've decided it's time to start moving away from co-sleeping and towards independent sleeping.  The sleep training started on Monday and let me tell you it is alot of work!!

Any moms out there want to trade/share sleep training stories?  I've been on the hunt to read about other moms and their sleep training.  If you know of any blogs I should visit, please please please share in the comments below.

OK, so let's talk about something other than babies.  Here's what I've been dreaming about lately.

#1 When will I start running again?

I'm keen on getting the sleep training in place because I'd like to start running again.  Here's what I'm thinking: if we can get Baby O on some kind of a predictable eating & sleep schedule, then I could sleep better at night and count on getting regular naps in during the day.  Right now, I can't tell if Baby O will nap for 15 minutes for 2 hours.  Being tired all the time makes it hard to even think about getting up early to run -- which is the best time for me to run when I start running again.

#2 When will spring arrive?

We've had a few days of nice warm weather the last couple of weeks.  (I bet I just jinxed us by saying that).  Not super warm, but a few days here and there with highs in the low 60s, just warm enough to go outside without a jacket.  I'm ready for some sunbathing!  Which leads me to...

#3 I could use a vacation

I'm dreaming about anywhere warm... Florida (we went last year), San Diego (we lived there for five years), or Hawaii (we were there two years ago).  We're still talking about where to go this year, but we won't be flying anywhere warm until this fall.  Sigh...

#4 What will I be doing in a year?

One of my thoughts had to be a serious one... 

I'm planning on staying home with Baby O through the end of 2015.  What happens after that?  Do I go back to work?  Will I continue to stay home and take care of Baby O?  I'm not really interested in returning to my old career (project management) but I'd have to go back to school to change careers.

I guess I have some work to do this year if I want to return to the workforce in a year's time.  If I don't count the 18 months I worked from home after baby #1 was born, I haven't worked a "traditional" job since 2011.  I'll have been out of the workforce for five years by next year, and the thought of trying to re-enter the working world terrifies me a bit.  I've read stories about the challenge moms face when they try to go back to work after taking time off to take care of kids.

Thanks to Amanda for hosting Thinking Out Loud!  I love sharing my random thoughts on Thursday!

Do you know anyone who took a long break from the working world and returned to work successfully?

6 comments:

  1. I've known people who've done all sorts of things when it comes to working, from changing jobs, taking time off, coming back, going back to school, etc... so there's really no mold when it comes to your career. Especially now when it's becoming more and more possible to be self-employed and work from home. I went through a massive career change a few years back, and I never would have guessed that I'd end up where I am now. So I guess what I'm trying to say is... don't worry so much about what will be. Things have a way of working themselves out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to believe that so many people are self-employed and working from home, and I guess once I do, I'll consider it for myself. But for now, I'm still thinking I have to go back to an office or a job where I have to commute. Glad to hear from you that you know people that have done all kinds of things when it comes to work.

      Delete
  2. My little guy will be going to Kindergarten in the fall and although, I don't plan to go to work full time (I didn't stay home all this time, to now put the kids in daycare before/afterschool and vacations, you know?) I do often wonder if I want to get some sort of part time job?? I have been thinking about it a lot. I still have no idea what I want to be when "I grow up" so that makes things so difficult!! I agree with Amanda above, I think that what is meant to be for me, will happen! I will someday find the perfect job or career path or maybe something totally different will fall into my lap that I have never thought of before!! Good luck with sleep training!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thanks for weighing in and sharing that you've been staying at home and that you still have no idea what you want to be. I worked in the corporate world for almost 15 years and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!

      Delete
  3. I hope you can get a schedule going soon!
    I work with many teachers who took long breaks and came back, but that's pretty different fom corporate environment. I just go to work everyday, I haven't decided what to do with my self either lol I know your winters are long, but I bet Colorado will be pretty enough spring and summer to make up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I hope to get a schedule going soon, too. I've been looking at the development milestones for newborns and I think I might have to wait another month or so before Baby O is at a point where I can really enjoy her. As for the running, I'm just trying to take that slowly.

      And yes, spring and summer will be pretty enough to make up for our long winter which, actually, hasn't been to harsh. (Knock on wood!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...