Monday, February 23, 2015

While I Was Away...

Wow, taking a break from blogging was the best thing ever!  Who knew that a blogging vacation was just what I needed?

What did I do with my two weeks away from SuperSmartMama?  Good, good stuff:


I Spent an Entire Saturday with My Son

Hubby got sick last weekend, which completely changed that day's plans.  Hubby ended up watching Baby O (armed with a bottle and some pumped milk) and the three year old and I spent the day together.  We had a birthday party to attend so we hit the local mall, 
bought a birthday present and a birthday card, ate lunch together, and then attended the party, where he jumped around with his closest pals, and I got to chat and hang out with fellow mamas and papas.  Win-win!

I Fit in Some Exercise

The weather was so nice two weeks ago aaaaand we got a new BOB stroller (whoo hoo!) so I took Baby O out for several days of walks.  We also did a family walk/run the weekend before last!

I'm not running yet -- and I'm not going to rush it because I'm nursing -- but I still have my sights set on getting back into running by the time the weather warms up.

Sleep Training is Well Underway

OK, this is probably not the most exciting thing that I did with my time away with blogging, but it's important.  We did not do any sleep training with the first kid, so my husband and I read a few books on sleep training and agreed we would do our best to do a better job with the sleeping bit with Baby O.

Let's just say that sitting in a dark room for many of my afternoons is not a whole lot of fun right now, but I feel like we're making progress.  Baby O is now sleeping for six hour stretches at night (only 1-2 wakings for feedings!) and she's sleeping 1-2 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon.

Home Alone

My husband went on a two-night business trip during my blog vacation (another reason I decided it would be good to take a break from blogging).  I was so worried that I wouldn't survive the first day, let alone TWO days.  Out of sheer desperation, the morning of day one, I coaxed Baby O to take the pacifier after she tried (and failed) to suck her thumb or her hand.  After weeks of refusing the pacifier (offered occasionally here and there), she took it two weeks ago!  Now that she has accepted the pacifier, life is a little bit better here and there.  There's less crying, which means I'm a little less on edge.

Back to Paleo

And the last item to report on?  My eating!  Now that my postpartum body has shed all the weight it was supposed to get rid of after having a baby, my weight started to climb again after losing all but the last five pounds of pregnancy weight.  I've been working to get back to eating Paleo 80% of the time.  It's been a real struggle for me -- especially eliminating sugar from my diet.  But I'm making progress: I've finally stopped eating cake and donuts and cookies -- which isn't helpful anyway, as I'm exclusively breastfeeding.  I've limited myself to dark chocolate now and again as my "treat".  My hubby got me a lovely box of dark chocolates for Valentine's Day, which I'm carefully working through -- just 1 or 2 every other day.  The restraint is paying off: I'm back to where I was in early January: five pounds away from my pre-pregnancy weight!

Although I took two weeks off, I'm still struggling with finding a balance with my new life as a mom of two.  I think I'll be cutting back blogging to 1-2 times a week, but I'll still be around, so I hope you'll continue to check in and say hi!

Have you ever taken a blogging break?  Why?  Or...would you like to take a blogging break?

11 comments:

  1. Welcome back!! It sounds like your blogging vacation was perfect for you :) My sister and brother-in-law did the sleep training thing too and to hear them talk about it was a true miracle! I hope it continues to work for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! And thanks for wishing us luck with the sleep training -- some days it works great, other days, not so much -- we take the good days when they come.

      Delete
  2. I think 1-2 times a week is perfect! What a great time off...I can't believe you made 2 days away from your kiddos. I think you really balance things well...family, food, and exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! I can't wait to hear about any stories you have about your sister-in-law (and brother-in-law or brother?) and their upcoming arrival... Maybe some of my stories are readying for what to expect to hear from them. :-)

      Delete
  3. Glad your back! I would be interested to know what kind of sleep training you are doing, not for me, but for a friend who's baby doesn't sleep well. He is over 4 months and she is TIRED! I just don't remember a whole lot of advice!! I have been really happy with my 4 day/week schedule and even though I said it was going to be a break, I am probably sticking with it. Occasionally, I might do 5, but it is working with my schedule so, I am going with it. Go with what works for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy - there are many sleep books out there, and the one my husband and I are following is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth, MD. Weissbluth and Ferber were the two BIG opinions on sleep training in the lactation support group that I was in back in the day. I think we decided not to do sleep training with baby #1 because we were too tired to try and implement anything. In retrospect, it would have let us sleep more.

      I'd love to get back to a 4 day/week blog schedule, and if I really want to, I know I will be able to once Baby O is a little bit older!!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back! I took a 6 month blogging break after my 4th child was born last April. It was desperately needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 6 months! That sounds like a nice long break, and much needed, especially if you've got 4 kids!

      Delete
  5. Welcome back! one to two days a week seems like it would be a nice way to let you continue blogging while still keeping time in your busy days for your family! It's such a hard balance, I have to admit I'm struggling with it, too.

    It sounds like you had a nice break though! And some quality time with your son also seems like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yuliya - it's humbling to realize that what works for other mom bloggers may not work for you. I gave myself the hardest time for a couple of weeks back there where I kept thinking, "Gosh, other mom bloggers continued to post 3-5 times a week right after their baby was born!" I realized it's not a contest and I don't need to keep up with others. I also think 1-2 times a week will be perfect for me - while I enjoyed my time off, I thought of all kinds of topics to blog about (ironically) but I just didn't have time to write up the posts! Ha!

      Delete
  6. Yaaa for nice weather and some exercise! You look great :)
    Hopefully Baby O will start sleeping longer stretches sooon. I take lots of blogging breaks and I don't even have little ones lol It's very hard to keep up! Some weeks just flow better than others and I just hope I don't lose all my bloggy buddies when I take a break.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...