Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Easy Eats


Happy hump day!  I love documenting what I'm eating on Wednesdays because (1) I love linking up and seeing what other people are eating -- I've gotten some great ideas from checking out other's posts at Jenn's What I Ate Wednesday party; (2) I love having a record of my eats that I can look back on.

Honestly, posting my food every Wednesday keeps me motivated to eat whole foods and encourages me to try new foods.  Last week I bought hemp hearts and have started experimenting with how to include them in my meals.  Case in point:


Lately we've been all about easy meals at our house.  I knew this week was going to be crazy, so I took photos of my eats on Monday:

Breakfast: two fried eggs and (not pictured) avocado on toast
Mid-morning: (I ate breakfast super early in the day) strawberries with plain yogurt, almonds, and hemp hearts!
Lunch: leftovers from Sunday night -> slow cooker chicken chili (yum!) with sour cream, green onions, and a healthy side of roasted broccoli
Snacking throughout the day: trail mix (walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, raisins, and dark chocolate chips)
Late afternoon snack / early dinner: california roll (purchased while shopping for ingredients for dinner)... and maybe a rice cracker with some guacamole
Dinner (after the kids were put in bed): steak with sauteed medley of brussel sprouts, broccoli, mushrooms, and red bell pepper.  Sooooo soooo good.  Definitely putting this one in rotation.
Post-dinner: some strawberries and my prenatal vitamin (necessary for nursing mamas!)

Store-bought sushi roll excepted, all of these meals required little time to prepare.  Frying eggs is easy, anyone can throw fruit and yogurt together, the leftover chili got reheated on the stovetop, and dinner took less than 30 minutes to make.

What's your idea of an easy meal?  What do you cook when you don't have a lot of time (or energy)?

10 comments:

  1. Big batches of soup are awesome to have on hand! They are easy and filling. I also love to make chicken and quinoa to keep on hand as well. But eggs are my no-brainer meal. And a handful of nuts has definitely been a 'meal' since the little one arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, soup is a great idea! I always have grilled chicken in the fridge, although that gets old after a while, so I have to mix it up. Thanks for the reminder on soup. Must get soup back in the rotation...

      Delete
  2. Your breakfast sounds so delicious! My idea of an easy meal is oatmeal. That’s what I resort to whenever I am feeling lazy. It’s my happy meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband likes steel cut oats; we'll put those in the crockpot for overnight oats or make them ahead the night before just to reheat for five minutes in the morning. Great base for all kinds of yummies (blueberries, honey, and a little half and half!)

      Delete
  3. I have hemp hearts too, they are good in smoothies and stews! Most of my easy meals look similar--just sticking to basics like eggs and oatmeals or preparing big batches of recipes to eat throughout the week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - life is all about the basics rights now. Hey, I hadn't thought about putting hemp hearts in my stews/soups/chili... I will have to give that a try.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Yum! Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your food looks really good! Trail mix is one of my favorite snacks:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and generally trail mix can be tailored to be Paleo, another plus!!

      Delete
  6. Did you like the hemp hearts? I wondered what kind of texture they had. My favorite thing lately is eggs too - and I like edamame. I eat from the salad bar a few times a week to avoid cooking lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...