Monday, March 2, 2015

My Recipe for Wellness


wellness [wel-nis]
noun
The quality or state of being healthy in body or mind, especially as the result of a deliberate effort.

Since I became a stay at home mama, I've become much more aware of my state of health and well-being.  

When I was working in the corporate world, I often neglected my health and my well-being.  Not enough exercise, good nutrition, or time for myself.

Now that I'm at home and don't have the distraction of work -- I feel like I have more time to focus on ME.  I'm always getting new ideas from social media and fellow bloggers.  For example, I got into eating Paleo last spring and I feel like my eating habits have vastly improved.

Here is my current wellness program:

1. Drink lots of water.  I don't drink much else.  I'll have a cup of coffee in the morning and I'll occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner now and again.  Currently, I'm drinking this tea daily to help with my breastfeeding.  But other than that, I don't drink juices, sodas, or other beverages.  I focus on drinking as much water as possible, and toting my water with me at all times always helps.

2. Wear sunscreen.  Being a SAHM I don't wear makeup nearly as often as I used to when I was working but I always put on sunscreen on my face in the winter and all over in the summer.


3. Be active.  Pedometers have come a long way, and I've found that wearing my Fitbit Flex is a great reality check: I don't move nearly as much as I think I am moving.  Now that I'm not running and looking after a newborn, I have to really make an effort to get to 10,000 steps a day, and my pedometer helps me keep track of how much (or how little) I am moving.


4. Set aside personal time every day.  I've kept a journal since I was eight years old, and although I don't journal every day anymore, I find other outlets similar to journalling, such as blogging, emailing, and sending handwritten letters to friends.  I still occasionally journal, although these days, it's more like 2-3 times a week.  This helps me stay sane and happy.

5. Keep in touch with friends, new and old.  Let's face it - friends are important.  Having others to talk to and relate to makes for a better life.  We've moved alot, so I have friends all over the country and I try and keep in touch with those friends through email, snail mail, and phone calls.  I've also made a great circle of friends in my new hometown of Denver, CO.


6. Challenge the brain.  Although it's hard to find time to read a book, I do sneak in some reading right before bed (I find it easier to listen to books on tape, it actually helps me go to sleep).  I also like to do crossword puzzles regularly and having them on my smartphone makes it easy, because I can work on a crossword puzzle anywhere: while putting the baby to sleep (or holding her so she can sleep), while waiting -- think doctor's appointments, etc.)

7. Get eight hours of sleep a night.  Before Baby O was born, this was not a problem.  During my pregnancy, I was napping 1-2 hours every afternoon on top of sleeping 7-8 hours a day.  Life with a newborn is not quite that peachy right now.  Knowing that the nights can be full of middle of the night feedings, I get to bed on the earlier side (8:30/9pm!) which can be a challenge in itself.  But I know I function best with 8 hours of sleep and I am a morning person, so I rarely stay up late, and I try to keep to a very regular sleep schedule.

In the future...I would like to expand my wellness routine to include taking probiotics and take on yoga or meditation.  I've heard great things about probiotics keeping the "good" bacteria around for a healthy gut.  I'd also like to work on my flexibility -- I'm pretty good about working on cardio and strength, but I often forget to work on my flexibility!

What's in your recipe for wellness?

9 comments:

  1. Yes yes yes to all of these! I've been having to focus more on drinking water lately. I have started filling up a big ol mug in the morning and that helps. Otherwise it's bedtime before I realize I haven't had much. Also, if you are looking for a good probiotic, I have a great one! I take it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will message/email you and get the name of the probiotic! I'm still researching and I love hearing what others are taking and what they think of their probiotic of choice.

      Delete
  2. Love these! I use an app for meditation. You can select how you feel, tense spots, time, etc and then a meditation is given to you for your needs. I usually only do 5 minutes twice a day but it is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds interesting! I'll have to go research or email you about the app (how many meditation apps can there be?!).

      Delete
  3. My current wellness plan: 1. Drink mostly water (you know I like wine!!) 2. Eat whole foods 3. Exercise Regularly 4. Balance social life and home life 5. Sleep more

    All of which are a work in progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your #4 balance social life and home life. I think I need more of a social life now that I'm a SAHM. I have to make an effort to get together with my female friends -- it takes some planning and coordination -- which is probably why I dont do it as much as I used to.

      Delete
  4. All such great items to work on as women and moms! Love this list. Many of them are on my list as well, some I practice and some I still need to work on...especially, 8 hours of sleep. I need it too, but often don't get it :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with all of this...it's all a necessity to feel normal but so easy to let slip. I also have to meditate everyday otherwise I lose my mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a great wellness program, Marnie. We should really find time to take care of our health, no matter how tight schedule could be every day. After all, it would only be more hassle in our schedule should if we fall sick. Anyway, Thanks for sharing this!


    Shanell Custer @ Sage Health and Wellness

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...