Monday, March 16, 2015

Weekending: Winter Park


Hi friends!  How was your weekend?  Consider yourself warned: serious photo dump ahead.

I had the most exciting weekend of my winter!  Spring may be just around the corner, but there was just enough snow left in Colorado for a great ski weekend in Winter Park.  My closest friend from college flew in from the east coast with her three kids and we had a great time catching up, slopeside...



But first, I had to pack up the car with all the necessities for a baby and a toddler.  Yes, I did pack a rock 'n play in my car.  And yes, I did fill up a car that would normally seat seven people, but only carried myself, Baby O, and Toddler K.
On Thursday, I made the 75 mile drive into the mountains alone with the kids because the hubby was out of town, flying in on Friday night.  I survived. <grin>  Within five minutes of settling into our suite, the toddler managed to empty the contents of a Monopoly box onto the floor.  I quickly distracted him with a snack plate that we shared.
My friend arrived about two hours after we did and major shenanigans immediately ensued.  We had to do some grocery shopping - divide and conquer (I stayed with the kids, my friend took her oldest and did the shopping) - and we ate dinner around 9.  The kids were delighted to be able to stay up very very late.
Friday we woke to an overcast day.  Despite very little sleep - we were up at 7.  I checked the toddler into ski school by 9.  I watched in awe as my friend got her three kids fed, suited up, and out the door and onto the slopes by 10am.

You see, I opted to not ski this season because I've got Baby O to watch.  We're still considering childcare at some point so that my hubby and I can ski/snowboard together.  But have you ever looked up the rate for childcare at a ski resort?  It's not pretty.

Since I wasn't skiing, I nominated myself to be the house chef.  I even brought my own crockpot from home, my favorite chef's knife, and my travel spice kit.  I set to work in loading the crockpot with dinner for tonight: Sunday Meat Sauce to be served with spaghetti / spaghetti squash, and roasted broccoli.
Once I was done with getting the crockpot going, Baby O and I took a walk and explored the Winter Park ski resort.  Not huge, but lots of fun to walk around.
That night, after skiing, we sat down to our lovely dinner.  Another bonus: the husbands (both my husband and my friend's husband) arrived late Friday night, at the end of their respective work weeks.  Another late night of hanging out and catching up...

Saturday turned out much sunnier than Friday.  The skiers had lots of fun.  I thanked them for all the beautiful photos since I could not be out there with them.

My hubby was a total sweetie and spent the day with the family.  Our day involved lots of food.  There was brunch and then a sort of lunch/snack at a crepe place where the crepes were delicious (but not photographed), the threats were clear, and we snapped a (rare) family photo.

In the late afternoon, we found this awesome hot dog "shack" that served the most amazing hot dog combinations.  I opted for the "Barny" and I was not disappointed.

My co-pilot didn't have much to say, but she was happy to come along for the ride.

Saturday night we had chili (made in the crockpot), followed by birthday cake (not pictured - sorry!)

Sunday my husband stayed to get more skiing in.  He also kept the toddler with him.  Baby O and I returned back to Denver, where it was 78 degrees (!!!).  In the afternoon, we went for a walk.  In the space of 24 hours, I went from wearing multiple layers to wearing shorts and a tank top.  What a great weekend!
Anyone else have a fabulous weekend?  Is it warming up where you live?

4 comments:

  1. Your weekend looks great!! Love all your sunny pictures! I am so looking forward to that weather around here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy! I can't wait to see photos of Maine in the springtime!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had such a good weekend! I Enjoy the warm weather:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...