Monday, March 30, 2015

When the Weekend Isn't Enough

I knew that having two kids was going to be alot of work but there are some days where, as one woman quipped, "Having two kids isn't twice the amount of work; it's twice the amount of work and then some."

No kidding.

I love the weekends more than ever now that we're a family of four.  If we don't have anything big planned (which is more often the case than not), I start sketching out in my mind what we're going to do.  Generally, Saturday is the day we get out of the house and Sunday is the day we lay low and try to relax.

Lately, I've been plagued with Sunday-afternoon-gloom.  I used to get the "gloom" before I had kids and was working my 45-to-50 hours a week corporate job.  It would start around 2pm when I realized the weekend was coming to an end, and I'd agonize: what fun things can I do with the last few precious hours of my weekend?!

Before kids, the answer was easy: go catch an afternoon movie.  Go for a run.  Grab an afternoon glass of wine with a girlfriend or husband or a whole bunch of friends.

Now that we have TWO kids, it's a little trickier.  The toddler is awake, but the baby is asleep.  Do we split up, so one parent takes the toddler, the other parent stays with the baby?  Do we wake up the baby and get outside?  And then there is the question of WHAT do we do?  Go treat ourselves to ice cream?  Go to the playground?  Go for a walk?

Some days, we pick the perfect Sunday afternoon activity and we end our weekend on the perfect note.  Other weekends, we head out for what should be a good time, but Baby O gets grumpy and ends up crying the whole time or my husband and I can't agree on where we want to go.

In any of these cases, the weekend isn't enough.

Good weekend ending or bad, I sit down on Sunday night, after both kids are asleep, and I document in my journal how our weekend went.  I write the good and I write the bad and I remember that every day isn't going to have a cherry on top.  And that's OK.  The weekend was the weekend and I'm just thankful we had one.  We spent our weekend as a family and made memories.

Memories that I'll love and relive and think back to one day and say, "Now that was a good day."

How was your weekend?  Do you ever experience Sunday-afternoon-gloom?

10 comments:

  1. I always feel the weekend is too short! I sometimes wish that Mike had one day off during the week so that we could do something fun as a family during less busy times. Although now the kids are in school, so it doesn't make as much sense as before! It seems the weekends are so busy we can't fit everything in. I enjoy Sunday afternoons because it is when we start to prepare for the week ahead. We clean up from the weekend, eat dinner, showers and bed early. It is a quiet family time that I actually really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, my kids aren't in school yet and I wish my husband could take a day off during the week, too. I know what you mean about enjoying activities while it is less busy (during the week). I've been hitting some of my favorite places (museums, etc) with Baby O during the week. It will only get better as the weather gets warmer! Yay summer.

      Delete
  2. Baby O is getting so big!!! I usually get Sunday blues in the evening on Sunday. Darn Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - I'm not alone in my Sunday blues. I hope your Monday wasn't too bad this week!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of writing your weekends down. Sometimes I'll have a really great weekend and then someone will ask me what I did and usually it was something as mundane as going to the garden centre of cleaning out the closet!! I'd love to be able to look back and see whether that's in fact a pattern. I love going on trips but I think probably if I can look at a record of them, some of the best weekends I've had have been super low-key. I shall cherish these times while I can before we (if we are so fortunate) eventually take the plunge into parenthood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie - I'll have to do a post about it one day -- I've been keeping a journal since I was 8 or 9 years old (not sure anymore exactly when I started). I have so many journals and I've moved so many times, they're not all in one place... one day I'll consolidate them and put them all in one place and maybe even leave them for my kids (if they want them and if I'm brave enough to share them). Blogging and scrapbooking are an extension of my historian-like-tendencies...

      Delete
  4. What great pictures! You are a beautiful family :)
    I always have Sunday afternoon blues, I guess I've had enough of full time lol I want to retire which is probably 20 more years :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Some days I wonder if I'm posting too many personal photos, but then again, the blog was originally started so that I could record the good days and the bad. :-)

      Delete
  5. I hear you. I used to experience the Sunday afternoon gloom. The best remedy is to just get out and do something. Plus my mother-in-law often invites us over for dinner on Sundays... which is nice because it saves me from cooking and gets us out of the house.

    Thanks for sharing... I loved your pictures too.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer - if we lived in the same state as my mother-in-law, I know she would do the same (invite us over for dinner on Sundays) and I would love it. Unfortunately, she's one too many states away. But you're right -- getting out and doing something is the best remedy for the Sunday afternoon gloom!! Now that the weather is warming up, it should be easier to get out and about!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...