Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Eating with Purpose

I've been in a bit of a food rut lately.  Part of the reason is I'm feeling overwhelmed by life.  I'm usually all about the kitchen: I love cooking, I love trying new recipes, and I just love food in general.  However, food has become a bit of a chore lately.

Unfortunately, other things are starting to crowd out food.  First off, there's the baby.  Secondly, I've tried to get back into running.  And third, I've recently learned that I may not be making enough milk for said baby, which is wreaking havoc on what I eat...  I hope you are not grossed out by the words lactation or galactagogue (yes galactagogue is a real word) -- as making more milk has become my world.

Let's take a look, shall we?


Breakfast #1: lately I've been eating steel cut oats because oatmeal is a supposed galactagogue (I warned you!).  Yesterday morning, I was sick of oatmeal, so I ditched it for a bowl of plain yogurt topped with raspberries, blueberries, and hemp hearts.  Add a cup of coffee (milk, no sugar) and I was ready to take on the day.

Breakfast #2: because I ate breakfast at 6:30am, by 10:30am I was hungry again, so this time I took the time to make an effort in the kitchen.  I blended up a blackberry-raspberry-banana vanilla protein smoothie and added in brewer's yeast (yes, that's a galactagogue).  While I drank the smoothie, I fried up two eggs and two sausages.

Late Lunch: after breakfast #2, I took a quick nap, and then baby was up, so we went out for a midday walk and then a quick run to the grocery story.  When we got back, I put baby down for another nap and then broken open my new bag of "power" greens, topped it with leftover grilled chicken, tomatoes, and a little dressing -- yes, my salad really was that boring -- and then got ready to make some cookies.  Oh - I also had a cup from my first ever batch of homemade bone broth (aka chicken broth).  Not a galactagogue, but I figure it can't hurt to drink some bone broth every day.

Lactation cookies: once my quick lunch was done, I set upon making my first ever batch of lactation cookies.  It turns out they're nothing more than oatmeal chocolate chip cookies with a few extra ingredients: flaxseed and brewer's yeast.  Brewer's yeast and oatmeal are galactagogues.  I'm not sure why flaxseed is part of the recipe, but it was an excuse for me to buy another good-for-you-food that I can also blend up in future smoothies...

Dinner: I have to confess that I actually forgot to take pictures of dinner.  Because life has been so challenging for moi lately, my husband and I have agreed to give ourselves permission to eat out a little more often than we normally we would.  So we went out for dinner, but I didn't take any photos.  Sorry!

Thanks to Jenn for hosting another awesome What I Ate Wednesday (WIAW)!

Have you ever had to eat certain foods for a reason?  Was it a good or bad experience?  Are there any foods you eat to improve your health that you swear by?

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks really healthy! Hopefully you will see production in what Baby O needs ;)
    It's so hard to fit everything in you need to do, I've always battled that. I am glad you got a break and went out to dinner.
    I've had to eliminate foods because they upset my gut, but I 've been taking probiotics everyday (cheap CVS brand) and they have been helping tremendously. In the past I purchased a very expensive brand that seemed to make little difference lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about probiotics. Good to know that there may be very little difference in effect between the expensive brand and the not-so-expensive brands!

      Delete
  2. Oh hunnie! I just read your post from Sunday and I'm sorry your dealing with things. I wish there were something I could do. Other than Baby O not growing quick enough, the fact that he's healthy (and a cutie pie) is wonderful! Just keep smiling and reminding yourself what an awesome wife, mother & person you are. Everything (including running) will fall back into place. Just give it some time & try not to be so hard on yourself xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie thank you so much! Just hearing the support is wonderful enough.

      You were right -- everything is going to fall back into place. I just heard back from our pediatrician on lab results and metabolically there is nothing wrong with Baby O and she should be growing fine!

      Delete
  3. Great eats! Lots of good food:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...