Friday, April 10, 2015

Five Places I've Been To (and You Should Too)


With warmer weather returning to Colorado, my mind has been drifting towards vacation.  If there's one thing I love as much as I love good food, it's travel!  I've been reflecting on places I've been as well as places I have yet to see.  This year, we've got our sights set on a possible trip to Greece -- a vacation we've been dreaming about for some time.

Today I'm linking up with Courtney, Cynthia, and Mar for their Friday Five.  Come check out the party where today's theme is Trips to Take (or Trips I've Taken).  I'm recommending places I've either visited or lived.  I'd also love to hear about your favorite trip(s)!



1. San Diego, CA

I lived in San Diego for five years and I can't say enough good things about this town.  Fish tacos.  Beach.  Perfect running weather pretty much all year round.

Why you should go:
Extraordinary Desserts - if there's a dessert place worth travelling for, you're going to find it at Karen Krasne's amazing shop.  In the five years I lived in San Diego, I think I've sampled almost every cake she makes.

Encinitas - everyone that visits San Diego heads downtown or goes to ritzy La Jolla.  Go visit a real beach town while you're there.  Encinitas is still small and fun.

San Diego Rock n' Roll Marathon - I've run this marathon twice.  It's held in late May/early June when the weather is still relatively cool.  I won't lie about some of the hills -- I know some out-of-town runners were pretty shocked at some of the climbs, but it's a beautiful race, and a great excuse to visit San Diego.


2. Charleston, SC

I've been traveling to Charleston every other holiday for the last ten years or so.  There's something about being near a beach during the holidays...

Why you should go:
Cru Cafe - yeah it's right there in the midst of all the touristy stuff, but the food is good.  'Nuf said.

Folly Beach - we often rent a beach house in the winter.  If you have to suffer winters in sub 40 degree weather, you might want to do the same one holiday.  Some winters we've worn coats out on the deck of our beach house, other winters, I've gone running in short sleeves and shorts.  Whatever the case, waking up the ocean every morning is totally worth it.


3. San Francisco, CA

I consider San Francisco my "hometown".  I grew up in the Bay Area most of my itinerant life (I was a military brat) and my parents finally stopped moving us around when I was fifth grade, so I feel like San Francisco was part of my backyard growing up.  I also lived there for three years post-college.  In addition to the items below, I also recommend the Ferry Building (great eats!) and if you have kids, here are some additional ideas.  Tip: if you like warm weather, the best times to visit San Francisco are September & October.  If you go June-August, pack a sweater, a windbreaker, and some jeans.

Why you should go:
Point Bonita Lighthouse - you know those motivational posters?  Visiting Point Bonita will make you feel like you've just stepped into one of 'em.  Yup!

Cable cars - not to be confused with trolley cars, these cars are really pulled around the city by underground cables.

Mission District - if you love food, just head to this neighborhood, stroll around, and give something a try.  If you're more of a planner, stop by Pizzeria Delfina for some great pizza or Tartine for some amazing pastries (if you hit either place during rush "eating" hours be prepared for a wait!)


4. Portland, OR

We visited Portland for the first time EVER last spring and it was amazing.  We ate some amazing food and checked out their farmer's market (lots of fun!).  We loved it so much we're going back this coming August...

Why you should go:
Powell's Books - supposedly the largest used and new independent bookstore in the world.  I know I needed the map they provided to make my way around this bookstore!

Bicycles - Portland is definitely a biking town!  We're hoping to do a little bike riding when we go back later this year.

Oregon Zoo - not the biggest zoo I've ever been (I'll leave that title to San Diego's zoo), but it was definitely a neat zoo to visit.




5. Grand Canyon (AZ)

I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back and lived to tell.  It really is an amazing adventure and I've already talked all about it before.  You can go to this post and read all about it here.


What's on your list of five places you would recommend others visit?  What's on your list of places you dream of visiting?


16 comments:

  1. This puts me in the mood for a road trip across America!! I never took advantage of how close I was when I lived in Toronto and I often kick myself for it. You had me at fish tacos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt after I moved away from San Francisco for the first time...that I hadn't really visited all the great places around SF and the Bay Area. Since I moved back, I've been all over!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my gosh...I have NEVER been to California!! Can you believe it? Good grief. I don't want to go just anywhere in Cali, though; I want to go to one of these places (or both!) that you've mentioned. I love Charleston; so much charm and so many great things to see and do. Thanks so much for a great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you and your husband make it to California one of these days. Maybe next year's wedding anniversary?

      Delete
  3. I've never been to any of those places, but they all look great! I would add Aruba and Italy, my two favorite destinations thus far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to Aruba or Italy, but Italy is definitely up there on my list!!

      Delete
  4. San Francisco is definitely on my list of laces to visit. Would love to run the Nike ra e for the Tiffany necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco is fabulous! I've run the half marathon twice and loved it.

      Delete
  5. I have family in San Diego. Why I haven't visited, I don't know!! I can't wait to take our family trip to the Grand Canyon :) This is an awesome list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't visited your San Diego relatives! It's a must! Even if you don't see them while you're there, go!!

      Delete
  6. the only place I've been to in this list is the Grand Canyon and I can agree it is wonderful! You've made me want to visit the other places now too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when I hear others have been to the Grand Canyon. It's so beautiful!!

      Delete
  7. We revisited the Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving. We camped, biked and hiked. For a treat, we had lunch at the El Tovar. Lunch is less expensive than dinner and the view was great in the daytime - win, win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to El Tovar! We hope to go hiking with the kids one day (when they're much older) and maybe we can swing a "date night" to El Tovar while the kids go on an evening tour or some other activity...

      Delete
  8. I love this list of places :) I loved Oregon and I would love to go again, I only stayed a few days for a wedding. I drove from Portland to Montana it was a fun little adventure...beautiful drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A drive from Oregon to Montana sounds like alot of fun! We are going back to Oregon this August and I can't wait!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...