Saturday, April 4, 2015

Return to Running (Week 2) + Meal Planning

How is your weekend going?  We are going to do an easy egg hunt on Sunday in our own backyard and keep our Easter Sunday relatively low key.  Last weekend was a bit busy so we're trying to slow things down this weekend by keeping things close to home.

Saturday was a great day!  I woke up early, got my 2 mile run/walk in and continued the day with....

A two hour beginner's class on how to grow vegetables in a raised garden bed:

Lunch at a creperie:

And Saturday afternoon in the backyard grilling!  I prepped on Friday afternoon by marinating a big 'ol hunk of flank steak and some chicken breasts.  The idea was to try and grill lots of protein and veggies so that we'd have lots of leftovers for the week.  We started with this:

And ended up with less than half of what I started with.  I think I'm going to have to double the portions next Saturday when we try this again!
But I'm getting ahead of myself...let's talk about workouts for the week!


Workout Recap (3/29 - 4/4)

Last week, I started my run/walk program, which is essentially moving my walks into run-walks and eventually 100% running.  This week I managed to get four run-walk sessions in, which was a huge accomplishment, because I've had to start going to bed early just so I can wake up at 6am to get a 30 minute run in before my hubby has to get up and go to work.  Then there's the complication of nursing Baby O, which I prefer to do before I go for my run because Baby O is no longer a fan of the bottle.

Sunday: 2 mile run/walk, 10 minutes on spin bike
Monday: 2 mile run/walk + 3.2 mile walk (total: 5.2 miles)
Tuesday: rest day
Wednesday: Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 (Week 1)
Thursday: 20 minutes on spin bike
Friday: 2 mile run/walk + 4 mile walk (total: 6 miles)
Saturday: 2 mile run/walk, JM Ripped in 30 (Week 1)


Meal Planning (4/4 - 4/10)

This is only my second week back to meal planning.  Last week went so well I'm excited about another week of meal planning and I'm including ideas for breakfast.  I'm so sick of eating fried eggs every day...

Breakfast
- Sweet potato, apple, and chicken apple sausage "hash"
- Scrambled egg, steak, and potato with roasted brussel sprouts
- Scramble with baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, grilled chicken, and pesto
- Avocado toast with sunny side egg


Lunch/Dinner
Saturday - Asian-marinated flank steak; lemon, herb, garlic chicken breasts; grilled veggies
Sunday - sliders, grilled salmon, and veggie saute
Monday - leftovers
Tuesday - slow cooker beef & veggie chili and kale, quinoa, avocado salad
Wednesday - leftovers
Thursday - order takeout
Friday - baked salmon and grilled asparagus

Winners from Last Week

I love to try new recipes all the time.  Some are great and some are...not so great.  When I do come across good meals, I'm sure to share!

Cowboy spaghetti.  I normally shun pasta, but I indulged this week.  I know we'll be making this dish again, and next time, I'll serve it two ways: half the sauce with spaghetti, the other half of the sauce with spaghetti squash.

Want more meal planning ideas?

A big thanks to the meal planning hostesses, Laura from Mommy Run Fast and Jill from Fitness, Health, and Happiness.  I love linking up every Sunday to share my meal plan and to get new ideas for future meals...

Anyone ever grow a garden?  This is only my second summer in Colorado, but I'm hoping to grow a few vegetables this year.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for getting into your workout routine!! Your meals all sound great- especially breakfast. I need to shake up our go to breakfast options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura - yes, I was looking at Instagram the other day and admiring all these great breakfast options that go beyond the expected (eggs, toast, cereal, pancakes/waffles). I'm trying to do a better job of reusing lunch and dinner components in my breakfasts! Today I made an frittata with leftover grilled chicken. I added some roasted red bell peppers, drizzled it with pesto, and voila! A new and yummy breakfast!

      Delete
  2. You are doing great getting back in to working out...breakfast hash is one of my favorite breakfasts...need to remember to put that on the menu next week! Looks like it was a fun weekend, Denver Botanic Gardens was one of my favorite places to visit when we lived there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, yes, I'm trying to get inventive with my breakfast hashes which (I think) is just a word for any mixture of things for breakfast. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. What a a great week Marnie :) You are doing fabulous fitting your workouts in!
    I love crepes, its been a long time since I had one.
    Hubby and I are at least starting to talk about meal planning - it's a step lol We made spinach feta thin crust pizza last week.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...