Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Trying out Weekend Meal Prep


As much as I love cooking food, I'm learning that when you upgrade from one kid to two, life gets busy.  Although we're moving back to a more "normal" life now that Baby O is four months old, "normal" is a little different than what it once was with just one child.

Enter my attempts to try and free up more time so that I can (1) exercise more; (2) do some crafting (scrapbooking!); (3) just sit and relax (can I please watch an entire movie in one sitting without multitasking?!).

One of my strategies is to spend less time cooking throughout the week.  Enter meal planning and meal prep: I've been inspired by the weekend meal prep that Lindsay from the Lean Green Bean highlights every Sunday on her blog.

And, because I'm linking up with Jenn for her What I Ate Wednesday party, I'll be sharing all my eats from Saturday, homemade or not, alongside my meal prep examples because that's what WIAW is all about.


Breakfast: I cooked up a "hash" of diced sweet potato, apple, and chicken apple sausage.  I cut up two sweet potatoes and three apples on Friday afternoon and divided them up into single portions, ready for easy sauteeing.  Saturday morning, I cooked the potatoes & apples along with some diced chicken apple sausage and served the hash alongside a salad (Organic Girl's SuperGreens!).  Easy! 

Lunch: we spent the morning at the zoo and then stopped by a creperie for lunch.  I had a ratatouille crepe which was delish.  They serve all their savory crepes with a side of roasted red pepper sauce and walnut-basil pesto.  Yum yum yum.

Afternoon snack: life with little ones means I nap when the kids nap.  After the nap, the toddler and I shared apples and almond butter.  My son is not a big fan of almond butter, so when I set the share plate down, he said, "Mama, the almond butter is all for YOU."  Hooray.

Dinner: so here is where my meal prep was supposed to really come into play.  Friday night, I marinated 1.5 lbs of flank steak and 2 lbs of chicken breasts so that we would have lots of protein for the first part of the week.  We grilled all that meat up Saturday night, along with some veggies: bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, and asparagus (not pictured, hah!).  I also roasted some brussel sprouts because... I love brussel sprouts.
After we finished dinner, there was 0.75 lbs of flank steak left and about 1.5 lbs of chicken left.  We ate most of the veggies, however, so I'll need to prep more veggies next time.

Dessert: And of course there was dessert!  After the kids were tucked into bed, I broke out my birthday box of artisanal chocolates and had a few while we watched a horror movie (a strange addiction of mine).

Weekend Meal Prep Verdict: grilling over the weekend was fun and the leftovers were delicious.  I think we'll be trying it again next weekend with a larger amount of food!


Are you a fan of meal prepping at the beginning of the week (or cooking large amounts of food over the weekend)?  What are your tips/tricks for minimizing time/effort in preparing meals?

10 comments:

  1. Those are some great looking meals! Love your dessert:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marissa - yes, I don't think you can go wrong with chocolate. Ever.

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited for grilling weather! I love grilling chicken and veggies for the week. I could eat them everyday for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I'm feeling! Summer is a mere 3-4 months here in Colorado (although we grill in any kind of weather), so you bet we're going to enjoy grilling chicken and veggies all summer long.

      Delete
  3. I don't normally do any meal prep on the weekends, but keep wanting to start! I would love some extra free time in the evenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle - there's nothing like motherhood to make you wish for more free time! You have a pretty amazing schedule however -- I'm amazed at all you get done!!

      Delete
  4. The sweet potatoes are such a good idea and look so good :) I am always showing your meals to my hubby lol He is becoming the chef in our house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen - I have a love/hate relationship with breakfast. I love eating a big hearty breakfast (sometimes one of my bigger meals of the day) but I hate all the prep to do when I'm just starving and want to eat right away. So prepping the sweet potatoes ahead of time has been great!

      Delete
  5. I already have a hard time prepping any food just for my bf and I, AND that's when I'm unemployed and literally have all day!! I need to bookmark all of your posts for when/if I have children so I get motivated! Your meals look delicious, and that creperie sounds amazing! Ratatouille crepe? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Sophie, you are too kind. I am home all day, as well, but some days, all I want is a personal chef!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...