Monday, May 11, 2015

Baby & Mama Update: 5 Months!

How was your Mother's Day weekend?  Our was full of rain...and snow:
Yes, it snows in May when you live in Colorado.  The crazy thing is it snowed on Mother's Day last year, too.  Despite the snow, I had a great Mother's Day weekend, with lots of relaxing and not a whole lot of cooking (by me).  My favorite part is that my husband came home early on Friday afternoon, took care of the kids, and made dinner, too!  We got our first shipment of Blue Apron last Wednesday and hubby has volunteered to make most of the dinners delivered by Blue Apron.  He loves how easy it is to follow the directions and that we don't have to shop for all the ingredients.  Everything gets delivered in a box right to our house.  Friday night we had crispy fish tacos with english pea guacamole and pea tip salad.  I didn't even know what pea tips were until that night...

So it's time for a baby & mama update.  Somehow I missed providing you all with an update at the 4 month mark, so let's make up for some lost time!

What I'm Loving Right Now
Baby O's hair is just funny...she was born with alot of hair, but now her hair is falling out / thinning out on the sides and in the back.  Meanwhile her hair continues to grow on top and in the front (bangs) so it's starting to look a bit like a faux-hawk.  Her older brother's hair did the same thing right around the 5-6 month mark.

Eating
Everything was going great with feeding the first three months: I was exclusively breastfeeding, I stockpiled a supply of pumped milk (in case I got sick), and Baby O became such a great sleeper that we decided to stop having my husband feed with a bottle -- Baby O was only nursing at 1am and 6am, so I was getting plenty of sleep.  No need for hubby to handle any of the night feedings.

What a mistake it was giving up the bottle.  At the end of March we went in for our four-month checkup and learned that baby O was underweight, so we were asked to supplement nursing with bottle feedings.  As luck would have it, she no longer wanted to have anything to do with the bottle.  We've tried different bottle nipples.  No luck.  We have even been experimenting with feeding her breastmilk with a spoon (do you have any idea how long this takes?!) and that's been met with mixed results.

This past weekend we finally saw a glimmer of hope: we decided to move onto solids.  Baby O ate pureed banana!  Because we've been struggling with supplementing for a month, we have a referral to see a feeding consultant at our local Children's Hospital, so I hope that we get some good help/tips on how to get her to take the bottle, if it is recommended to still supplement with breastmilk or formula over solid foods.

Sleeping
We're still using the magical combination of swaddle, pacifier, and rock n' play.  We had intended to start transitioning her to the crib this past month but then we were overwhelmed with trying to feed Baby O.  She does like being swaddled and will often nap 2 hours in the morning, 3 hours in the afternoon, and then nighttime sleep is 8pm-8am.

Play/Development
We'd be more worried about Baby O's eating situation if it wasn't for the fact that she is sleeping well, and when she's awake she's very alert and happy.  She likes to stand and doesn't have much patience for sitting in her bouncy chair or swing these days.

Baby O enjoys tummy time and is using her hands more to explore her world.  She's also finally figured out how to get a few fingers in her mouth:

But she's not yet able to suck her thumb like her brother.  Here's a side-by-side comparison of both them around the 5 month mark.  It amazes me how alike they look!

Mama Update
Back in March I was starting to get out alot with Baby O in the stroller.  I was walking 3-4 miles a day, 3-4 days a week.  I even started slipping in some running!  And then when we found out my supply (breastfeeding) was running low, I stopped walking/running because I was busy trying to nurse Baby O, then offer the bottle right after feeding, and then pumping after all of that (pumping is a great way to increase your supply).  All those extra feeding activities took over our schedule.  I was also worried that maybe I increased my activity too quickly and that may have contributed to my low supply.

I would like to get back to getting active again and now that we're going to see the feeding consultant and Baby O might be eating solids soon, I'm hoping I can spend less time pumping and find time again to exercise but I may opt for easier workouts so that I don't adversely affect my supply again.

What I'm Looking Forward To
I hope Baby O learns to sit up soon.  We have her in a Bumbo for her feedings and that's working out well.  She definitely wants to be part of the action and I can't wait for her to be able to sit in a high chair when we go out to dinner at restaurants!  I'm also looking forward to her having better control with her hands so that she can pick up solids and put them in her mouth.  I've read a lot about baby-led weaning and can't wait to try it out.

Earlier Updates
Here are more baby & mama updates if you missed them...
Baby & Mama at 2 Weeks
Baby & Mama at 3 Weeks
Baby & Mama at 4 Weeks
Baby & Mama at 2 Months
Baby & Mama at 3 Months

I'm linking up with Katie on this wonderful Monday!

How was your weekend?  Did you celebrate Mother's Day weekend?

8 comments:

  1. That picture of your backyard covered in snow is GORGEOUS! I live in San Diego so I always get a little wide-eyed when I read other bloggers talking about their neighborhood getting now. It is such a origin concept to me. Baby O is adorable! So much hair and such great eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to live in San Diego (5 years!) so I know exactly what you're talking about. Some days I miss the all-year-wonderful-weather of SD.

      Delete
  2. Your babies are adorable! They look so much alike! It is good to connect with you through the Manic Monday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristi for stopping by. I love connecting with people through Mani Monday blog hop.

      Delete
  3. I love updates like this! Such a cute little one! I can't get over how much your two babes look alike! I hope you resolve your feeding issue soon, I know it can be extremely frustrating and time consuming!

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brandyn thanks for stopping by and saying hello. And yes - I think we have a resolution to our feeding issue...fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. Baby O is SOOO cute! I love her hair. Feeding is one of those things can consume a mama what seems like forever. My son is on the small side too so I can completely relate. You'll find something that works for you and before you know it, this will all be in the past. Best of luck with it, can't wait for the next update. - Jules (co-host at #MommyMeetUpMondays)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules thanks for stopping by and thanks for the luck -- I think our nursing is back on the up and up!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...