Friday, May 8, 2015

Let's Have Coffee!


Happy Friday!  Are you glad the weekend is here?  I am -- and I'm so glad you agreed to meet with me for an afternoon coffee while Baby O is taking her afternoon nap.  It's nice to be able to have an adult conversation with someone now and again when most of your week is spent at home minding the sleep-wake-feed-play schedule that is my life right now.

We would have to have coffee at my house (thanks to baby being asleep) but you wouldn't mind.  I could make you just about anything you like.  Coffee?  Cappucino?  Tea?  Sorry - I don't know how to replicate any of Starbuck's Frappucinos, but I hear that they are having a Frappucino Happy Hour every day from 3-5pm until May 10.

You would ask why I am having coffee with coconut milk in it and I would explain that I am abstaining from dairy for one week, per Baby O's pediatrician's request: we're trying to rule out allergies to dairy - for Baby O, not for me.  If she's allergic to cow's milk that could prevent her from getting enough nutrition from breastmilk.  I'd go on to explain how I've spent the last month working with our pediatrician to get more calories into Baby O because as of March 31, she has fallen off her growth curve and is not gaining weight as expected:
The personal part of this whole problem is that I've learned that I'm not making enough milk for Baby O.  Since we've been exclusively breastfeeding since she was born, my milk has been her only source of nutrients.  I'd briefly touch upon the various challenges we've battled in April: me trying every known way to increase my milk supply (without much luck) and our inability to get Baby O to take the bottle: apparently she's a boob baby.  We've tried every known bottle nipple on the market, we've tried spooning breastmilk/formula, and now we are trying solids.  Because we haven't had much luck with any of these methods, we've been referred to our local Children's Hospital to get some help from a feeding consultant.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Related to the milk supply issue, I've been so busy pumping between feedings and trying to get Baby O to take the bottle that I've pretty much stopped running.  I had made some good progress with my running in the latter part of March and all that progress has been undone.  Once I got over my disappointment (I told myself that this is just a small phase in Baby O's life), it was easier to accept that running is something I have to put on hold for a little bit longer.  A few more months won't make a difference in the long run.

To get us back on a lighter topic, I'd ask if you've seen any good movies or read any good books lately.  We recently watched Wild on DVD (Saturday at-home-date-night!), and I found the movie to be one of those rare just-as-good-as-the-book movies.  That almost never happens.  Of course, in full disclosure, I'd remind you that I am a big fan of Reese Witherspoon.  I think she is an amazing actress.

And let's not forget our favorite subject: food!  I'd ask you if you've been cooking anything delicious at home lately and you'd tell me about how you've been grilling outside because it's finally been warm enough!  I'd agree and mention that we got our first box from Blue Apron and hubby has been making dinner for us so that I can just relax with the kids at the end of my day.

You would ask what our Mother's Day plans are for the weekend.  As much as I'd like to go to brunch or dinner at a fancy restaurant, it's just not as fun with two kids under five, so I think it'll be much easier if we do a picnic, which is what we're planning on for Saturday or Sunday -- as long as the Denver weather agrees with our plans.

If we were having coffee, what would you share with me?  Any good plans for Mother's Day weekend?

5 comments:

  1. I LOVED the book Wild, but I was anxious to see the movie because I loved it so much. I love Reese Witherspoon, so I should've known it would be awesome. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movie does the book justice for sure. I hope Cheryl Strayed agrees.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen Wild yet! I am sure I will one of these days :)
    Hopefully you can find a solution to help Baby O. You are so right, this is your most important matter, there will be time to resume exercise soon. I hope you got to enjoy some nice weather!
    It was so humid here, I hibernated most of the weekend.
    Over coffee I would tell you, I am experiencing some concerning little niggles in my legs. I think I am being over zealous with my running. I am flying blind, I haven't gone back to the PT, sometimes I make questionable decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love chatting with you about your running and your concerns. When I trained for my second marathon, I seemed to have more aches and pains and although I went to the masseuse regularly, I had no interest in going to see a PT.

      Delete
    2. I have never had a massage, except for during a pedicure. lol, does that count? maybe I really need to consider it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...