Monday, May 18, 2015

Run a 5K with Baby

This weekend, I ran my first 5K post-baby and I ran it with my little one in the jogger stroller.  Although my training for the race didn't go as I had originally planned, I went ahead and ran the race anyway, as I was already signed up.  It was my first race ever with a jogger stroller and it was a great experience.

I had a training plan in place -- and I encourage you to follow one, too -- but I had to stop running altogether two months before race day.  Despite not running for almost two months, I decided to show up for this weekend's race anyhow and loved every minute of it.  I didn't run the entire thing (I made my best effort to run most of it) and I found that what I enjoyed most wasn't racing, but the camaraderie of being out there with runners and walkers just getting outside and moving.

I'm not encouraging you to run your first race without any training, but I'm sharing my story to let you know that you don't have to be an experienced runner to participate in a 5K.
Here's why you should consider running a 5K with your baby, even if you've never run before.  (If you decide to sign up for a 5K race, make sure to check the race regulations to see if strollers are allowed.)

1. 5K races attract both walkers and serious runners.  Every race will have some speedy runners, but the 5K distance is great for new runners and people interested in walking, so if you're feeling nervous about not keeping up, don't worry!  The 5K I ran this past weekend had four waves (term for how they group the race entrants so that the fastest people start at the front of the pack and the walkers get placed at the back) for runners, runners with dogs, and a family/walker wave:

2. Signing up for a 5K will provide motivation to exercise.  Knowing that you have a race coming up will encourage you to get out with baby and the jogger stroller!  If you can, enlist another mama friend with a jogger stroller and do your walks/runs together.

3. If your training goes awry, you can still walk a 5K.  Like the race I ran this past weekend, there will be plenty of walkers.  If you decide to walk, just park yourself at the back of the pack at the race start.  Not only is it good race etiquette, you won't feel pressured to run if you're only prepared to walk the entire race.

4. 5K is a distance you can finish in an hour or less.  If you decide to walk an entire 5K, you should be able to walk the whole race (briskly) in about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes.  As a walker, you'll be in good company in a 5K distance.

5.  It will be an event that you'll remember.  There's baby's first time sitting up, baby's first time standing, and baby's first words!  How many kids can say that they ran their first race with mom when they were a baby?


Have you ever run a 5K?  Did you train or not?  

If you're a seasoned runner, what's your favorite race distance?  Why?

12 comments:

  1. Awww, I love this! You look great :) I am so glad you went and ran it and had fun. A 5K is a really fun distance if you didn't get to train much. It's currently going to become my favorite distance in the heat. lol Looks like you had a really pretty day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I have to admit in my more serious running days, my favorite distance was the half marathon because a 5K wasn't long enough to compel me to run much. :-)

      These days I think a 5K is perfect for my busy busy life.

      Delete
  2. How awesome that you still participated anyway! Good for you!

    I'm not a runner (unless a bear or some other wild animal is chasing me, you won't see me running). However, I have a huge admiration for those who do run.

    Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know running is not for everyone... but thanks for admiring those of us that do!

      Delete
  3. I love that you were able to involve your baby in the race! What a great way to set an example!

    Thank you for sharing with us at #MommyMeetupMondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandyn! Running is something that both my husband and I love to do, so hopefully it will rub off on our kids. And if they don't take to running, that's ok too!

      Delete
  4. Love this! Doing my first 5K this summer :)

    Jen@jpabstfitness.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good luck! I hope you enjoy the race and get hooked. Running a race takes running to a whole new level when you're out there with hundreds or thousands of people all coming together to improve their fitness!

      Delete
  5. Way to go! I call myself a has-been-marathoner. :) I used to run full marathons before marriage and kids, and now my time is slightly different with those life events. I try to run with my girls while pushing the double jogging stroller and it is a beast, but I know it's great for me, and for them to get outside. I love jogging strollers, because like you said, at least you're out moving! Gotta keep some sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who has to set aside my running aspirations. I know there are moms out there who continue to run after having kids, but I'm not sure I'm going to be one of them. I almost got back into running after my first child turned 3, but now that I've had a second one, I think I'm going to be a lot more hard pressed to find time to run!!

      Delete
  6. Yay congratulations!! Awesome that even though you hadn't been able to train you got out there and gave it your all and had a blast too :) I'm doing my first ever 5k next month so this is actually super helpful for me - for example, I had no idea about 'waves' and I'm so terrified that I'll be the slowest one there!! So really good to know that there might be other slowpokes out too :) I had no idea people walked entire races either

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie! Good luck on your first 5K. I hope you have a great experience. I think running races is the whole reason I try and get out to run regularly. It's such fun running with hundreds/thousands of people.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...