Monday, May 4, 2015

Thinking Positive in May

I can't tell you how glad I am to say goodbye to April.  It was a tough month in so many ways.  In March, I was doing so well with my fitness: walking 4-5 times a week and getting back into running.  Then we went to Baby O's four-month baby appointment and learned that she had fallen off her growth curve, and since then, everything has gone into a bit of a tailspin: my exercise has all but disappeared and my eating hasn't been so great.  I've spent the last month trying to increase my milk supply and working to transition Baby O to the bottle.  Neither has gone well, but I'll have to save the stories around those battles for another post.

I'm doing my best to shake off the frustration, so I'm setting some goals for May.  But first, I have to say happy birthday to Baby O.  She turned five months old last Friday:

May Goals

I've never defined goals publicly here on my blog, but it's something I'd like to do every month starting NOW.  I have a couple of long term goals that I'd like to achieve, too, so some of the goals I'm listing below are really part of bigger goals.

Run 2 miles x 2-3 times a week.  Post-baby, I started taking 2-4 mile walks back in early March which eventually led to sessions where I was running 2 miles + walking 2 miles.  Unfortunately, stress over my milk supply for Baby O derailed my running.  I've done what I can to increase my milk supply, so I'm ready to get back to running again.
Long-term goal: run a half-marathon in October

Eliminate added sugars.  Before I had the baby, I was really good about avoiding all refined sugars except dark chocolate, fruit, and occasional honey.  I eased up this rule after my pregnancy and thanks to all the stress in April, I've found that I've been eating alot of chocolate chip walnut cookies (there's a bakery nearby that makes the best cookies!).  For the month of May, I'm going to try and cut back to 2-3 desserts a week.
Long-term goal: get back to avoiding all refined sugars except dark chocolate, fruit, and honey.

Find a mother's helper.  I was really overwhelmed with managing two kids by myself in April.  My husband had several business trips out of town and I realized that I just can't manage the kids by myself -- it's just my personal limitation.  It took me some time to accept this, but now I have and I am currently interviewing candidates for a mother's helper position.  The next business trip my husband takes, I'll have my mother's helper over during the evening (dinner time to bedtime)
Long-term goal: find the right balance to being a mother of two so that I get ME time and am also a GREAT mom to my two little ones.  I don't know what this looks like exactly, but fewer mental breakdowns might be a good goal.

Get pampered at least once a month.  Another stress-buster for this mama.  My husband and I have agreed that on the weekends, I should sign up for a pedicure, massage, anything so that I get out of the house for an hour or two by myself.  We're pretty busy on the weekends, so I'm setting a more realistic goal to go once a month.

Research future career options.  I've been procrastinating on this one for quite some time now.  After I had my first child, I talked about finding a new career, but I went back to work in the same field (project management in information technology).  Now that I've had my second child, I'm ready to research options and, possibly, take classes in a new field.
Long-term goal: take classes that could lead to a new career

Do you set goals?  Do you have one you'd care to share?  How do you make sure that goals don't get forgotten?

6 comments:

  1. Baby O is so cute!
    I used to make a lot of lists, these days I just have a few big picture goals...life changes when the demands of the little ones aren't there.
    A mom helper sounds like as great idea and so do a few hours to yourself to pamper, you do need ( and deserve) those recharging moments!
    I think I just gave up on one of my long term goals - I had a number I would like to see show up on my scale, but I am getting to the point where I just don't care as much if I never see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen - the weight goal... that is such a tough one. I think feeling great no matter what one's size is a great goal to have. The long term goals are tough. Let's see if my breaking them down into smaller goals works for me.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to read that April was a tough month for you (I went back and read your motherhood blues post, too). I have a lot of catch up reading to do here, but I do want to say that I hope this upcoming month goes better! I think it's really great that you're setting goals for yourself, especially on a monthly basis. I hope things turn around with baby O, as well!!!

    I usually set goals for myself in my head, but with everything going on lately, I have weekly goals in mind for myself as well as long term ones (ie - perhaps a pregnancy before the end of the year if my body agrees ;) I'm trying to use my goals as a positive idea to work towards without getting too stuck on the time frame though - otherwise I get a bit too obsessive about making sure that they HAVE to happen by the date I set for myself if that makes sense.

    Anyhow, that photo of you guys is so sweet - you have a beautiful daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuliya, you are a strong, strong woman, returning so soon to the blogging world after what you have been through. I am honored that you stopped by my blog and said hello. I hope to continue to hear from you often!! Big hugs from across the miles.

      Delete
  3. Ooh great goals - especially the ones that focus on YOU! I notice a lot of mothers tend to forget themselves. Hope you have some good luck with supply increases. Nothing seems to work for me but hopefully you'll be different. I've pinned a bunch of great posts I've seen about increasing supply - so just do some searches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - I have been doing LOTS of research on how to increase supply. I've had pretty much the same luck you've had. Almost nothing has worked....but now I have a lot of great info that I hope to share in a post in the future, even if they didn't work for me, they have worked for other mamas.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...